DSO nano new bootloader firmware

Thanks for the repost, Alf.

I did convert the S19 file to the correct Intel Hex format as you did, but my .hex files don’t load.
I will try with yours now and see if it’s better.

Claude

Hi, Alf.

I’m sorry but it doesn’t work with your files either. Your V201.HEX files are ok, loading BenF V3.11, and stock V256 is ok also, but your V364 BenF creates 2 .RDY files with correct length but reboot still has the old versions.
Do you know why the V264.HEX app and V253.HEX lib files have just 0 for starting address whereas your V201.HEX files had ‘real’ starting addresses?

Claude

Hi Claude,
i have just tested these files with my DSO and everything worked fine. I first installed an old version and than installed the new version again, and both worked. No idea, where the problem is, sorry.
I hope you will find a solution.
alf

Hi alf,
It works now! I have been trying on 2 different computers with Windows 7 and it didn’t work! Now I tried on a Windows Vista computer and there it uploaded immediately.

Claude

[size=110]Scrolling through reams of posts to figure out the process of updating the DSO nano V2 (DSO201) and the flow of information is starting to do my head in… As a new customer, I’m not impressed. Whoever is the community manager, please take note of the points I’m about to make.

This is what I want:

• Organised and well documented information. Because as a customer, I’ve lost confidence in being able to use things offered by the community without fear of turning my DSO nano into a brick.
  • The Firmware updating actually looks risky without information on the process and requirements of the alteration of this product.
  • Terms and condition, warranty, code of conduct and firmware distribution policies. You know, the basic legal stuff that any organisation should have. So as a customer, I know where I stand.

This is what I want to do:

• Install user generated content; BenF firmware looks interesting but will it void any warranties?
  • Revert to previous/default firmware in the event of a firmware catastrophe; where can I download the files of the factory shipped Firmware? (LIB 2.27, APP 2.61)
  • Confirmation/communication on the requirements of each Firmware; will windows 7 x64 be compatible with the upload?
  • How to install the firmware for ALL the different boot loaders; I have V3.22A, so all I need to do is drag and drop each file into the DFU virtual disk?[/size]

mdagli, did you buy your Nano from Seeed?

Hi together,
i updated my new DSO201 with the BenF Software using the files provided by Alf.
I hat to use the new update technique, since the older one doesn’t worked any more.
The dso201 is booting with the BenF Software now.
Unfortunateley, I can’t use the Sd-Card. “Save Pro” for example works with option “Sflash”, but not with “S 001.CFG”, 2 002.CFG"…
I Got “no file” as result. Normally, the next filename should appear after saving. :open_mouth:

I have tried a 2GB class4 Scandisk SD Card.
I have tried a 2GB Transcend Card.

Formatting the cards.
I formatted with an eee-pc. fat and fat32.
I formatted with the dso201 itself. fat.
I tried scandisk and transcend-card.
I tried a special formatting tool “sdformatter”. All without sucess. :cry:

When i added a file “file001.cfg” a was able to save a config without an error.
This behavior look pretty much like the behavior of the 1.5 firmware?!
The file “file001.cfg” has been changed. However, loading was chaotik, what means it doesn’t worked reproducible. I had to reboot several times.
“SAVE IMG”, “SAVE REF” doesn’T worked either, although the error message vanished, when i saved apropriate files to the card.

Does anybody know how to suceed?
It would be nice, if someone could put some example files to the internet. I then could test, if loading of that files works.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,
after all i managed to save/load configs, save refferences and images. :sunglasses:
Things went wrong, when the file to save was missing OR the file size was too small.
The Scope can’t create new files, nore extend existing ones. Maybe there is a Problem with the fat32 formatting,too.

Ok then, i formatted the SD Card to FAT16 (with xp)
Then I put some default files to the card (See attachment).
The directorys are not used by the Version of Alf. You may use them for backups.
FILE001.CFG - FILE010.DAT are the same example of an config.
FILE001.DAT is an example of saved Refferenz. Just 50Hz triangle-square-pulse generated
FILE002.DAT - FILE010.DAT are saved Refferenz without without measurement.
IMAGE001.BMP - IMMAGE010.BMP are saved Immages without measurement.

I don’t know, if the DAT files are big enough in “scan Mode”.
If nessesary, you can extend the *.dat files with an editor. :wink:

Greetings
Default_Files.zip (34 KB)

Hi all, I too have just bought a dso 201 and have had issues updating firmware… my dso doesn’t support the win based firmware upgrade tool but has the ‘power on holding down key’ which results in an extra usb drive opening up… after many tries of different firmwares resulting in powering up to a blank screen have found a fix which may work for some. Download the hex files Alf has posted, power up with down key to bring up ‘ext drive’… copy/paste/drag APP/LIB one at a time, wait for ext drive to dissapear then appear with ‘filexx. RDY’… then leave for 10 seconds or so… then power off dso and power up again… all should be good :slight_smile: for some reason if you cycle power too quick after files show up it wont work… hope this helps a little:)

Hi all,

I got my Nano v2 from Seed Studio, but it also has the new firmware! 3.22A, with the USB “vertual” disk.

So it seems the manuals need updating…

Alf’s files seem to work though.

Ben

I’m trying to upgrade to BenF firmware on my DS0201. When I get the DfuSe Demo (v3.0.0) running, in the first box “Available DFU and compatible HID Devices”, it is blank, not what you get “STM Device in DFU Mode”. Can you please help?

Hi,

What do you get on the DS0’s screen?

Ben

This is what I get on the DSO screen:

digital storage oscilloscope
Serial: E3BB8BD2 Licence: D6122382
Device Firmware Upgrade V3.22A
Please copy Hex or Bin file to
the DFU virtual USB disk

You need to copy the files to the new drive that appears on your computer. You need the special files that Alf has provided in this thread (see this thread to get them).

Ben

I have done that - ie I have downloaded the BenF364_LIB353 zip file, extracted the files V353_LIB.HEX and V364_APP.HEX and copied them to my DSO [drive DFU_V3_22_A (E:)]. However, the contents of my DSO immediately change to V353_LIB.ERR and V364_APP.RDY, and when I switch on the DSO, I get the
BenF System Initialising
Please Wait
(LIB ver 3.53) screen, and nothing else - it doesn’t work any more! Please help me!!

Please copy them one by one - and wait for the drive to reappear after each file with *.RDY. When both files are there, wait for an additional 10 seconds or so then reboot.

See the post made by “jay_hagga” above.

Ben

Thank you so much - that seems to have worked!!

Hi alf,

Cann’t wait to post your Benf firmware of hex files to our wiki page ! Could we ?
We appreciate to your sharing .

Deray

Hi, from my side there are no restrictions on the files. Anyone can use them. But it is the software of BenF. He has to be asked. alf

hi i just changed the firmware of my dso201 that i purchased from ebay, to benf firmware files that alf created, and i just say that is better than the firmware it comes fron distributor, the only thing is when a try to generate a signal above 500khz the dso counts down (set fr to 600khz it measures 400khz, 700khz measures 294khz, 900khz measures 100khz,
dso is supposte to generate up to 1mhz test frequency an analog bandwidth of 1mhz whit 1msps.

this seems to be a bug of firmware please let me know if another firmware version is better to measure frequency,thanks.