DSO nano new bootloader firmware

Just wanted to add my thanks,

same problems, went round in circles for hours trying to work out how to upgrade. Works perfectly now!

To be honest I don’t know why the sellers on Ebay don’t ship with benF firmware, it turns it from a toy to a usable device

I have been at it for 3 days nows and the new firmware by Alf has relieved me of my misery. BenF is just great.
Great many thanks Alf.

Please HELP!!!

Just received a brand new DS0201 and tried to update with
V353_LIB.HEX
and
V364_APP.HEX

Got a V353_LIB.ERR.
I´ve erased the files.
After turning it off and on again, i got a blank screen!!!

Please help!
Thank you!

Just Helped myself!!!

Here what i did:

Downloaded 2.40 firmware:

code.google.com/p/dsonano/downlo … r&can=2&q=

Got defuse file manager to convert the .dfu to .hex

Now, when i start up, it says
Benf
LIB 3.53
App 3.64

Thank you all!!

The last four days I was in a state of shock…
Looked everywhere and begged for help in all sorts of forums … and than I found the post of Alf
Tried it and yes!! It worked (although not with an iMac for it does not like the DFU virtual drive to be disconnected and connected again. I used Parallels with WinXP).

BenF is just great but without the help of Alf I could not have used it!

Many thanks Alf.

TheWheel

Hi !

I´m new here and have a “little” problem with my SainSmart DSO201 Nano.

I tried to install the BenF 3.64 App.

I turned on the power-switch with pressed “-”-Button, so the DSO registered as a virtual-usb-drive on Win XP.
Then I copied the two Hex - Files of BenF in this directory and turned off an on the power-switch.

The tresult is: the DSO don´t boot anymore (as you can see on my Pictures).
It freezes in this screen.

Then I tried the options posted by Alf (DSOFlash.zip) , but it don´t work.
Now the DSO shows added “No APP found”.

What can I do ?

thanks
pic firmup.JPG
pic Benf.JPG

no one any ideas ?

pls help !

Hello
New to DSO Nano and this site.
I have bought a DSO 201 says APP ver 3.00 and firmware v3.21a.
I want to apply Alf’s BenF364_LIB353 firmware.

However, The only way my Windows 7 PC will recognize my DSO is if I hold down the - button while powering up the unit, then connect it to the PC. It was the only way drivers would install for it.
Dfuse v3.0.1 or v3.0.0 will not recognize it, BUT I can access it as D: drive through PC, it has 492kb of free memory of 492kb total(even with sd card installed it only shows this amount).
My question is, should I place the 2 files from Alf on the D: drive, and reboot to install?
Or will that be a mistake?

I have tried all kinds of ways to get my PC to recognize this DSO by connecting to PC holding left < button and powering up unit, but it always says unknown device. And neither way will Dfuse recognize it.

Any help will be appreciated.

**Couldn’t find any direct instructions for v3.21a so went ahead and did this:
This was done on Windows 7.
To install Alf’s BenF364_LIB353 firmware, have NO SD card inserted in unit.
Hold the - button while powering up DSO.
Connect DSO to PC through USB.
DSO “should be” recognized as Mass Storage drive.
Open DSO drive.
Place ONE file on DSO at a time.
Drive will close and re-open for each time.
Files extensions should change when viewed on DSO drive
Shut DSO off and remove from PC.
Power on DSO and it “should” install new firmware.
If there is an error repeat process.
That’s it!!! No need for Dfuse.
Very simple once realized.
Hope this helps anyone as confused as I was.

Thanks to BenF and Alf for all their efforts.
This firmware is sooooo much better, and now I can follow along on the BenF manual.
Now it’s time to go play with my new toy. :sunglasses:

I received my DSO Nano v1 today purchased through eBay from a USA seller. The DfuSe bootloader didn’t work. I tried converting the BenF V3.64 to HEX with DfuSE file manager, but even though I got RDY indication on bootload, the old, as supplied app showed on screen. Found this string on the forum. The zipped .HEX file versions on page 5 of this string are what I needed. I tried moving both .HEX files into the virtual USB bootloader at the same time. APP showed RDY, but LIB showed ERR. When I turned the unit back on got blank screen and got nervous. Went back to the virtual USB bootloader, but I moved only one .HEX file at a time. Both then showed RDY as they were loaded. When I turned the unit back on I was greeted with the BenF welcome screen.
Thanks for all the help. I’d have been totally lost and stuck with the BS firmware as supplied without this forum.

Ive got almost same exact screen, heres what mine says

Digital Storage Oscilloscope
Serial:E1C9A7F5 Licence:DC7B3CC5
Device FirmWare Upgrade V3.22A
please copy Hex or Bin file to Virtual USB Disk

i did what it said but now i have no peak to peak functions and no ME or SE on my scope…

hope there is a work around for this :open_mouth:

:laughing: Thanks you all
i was also hair scratching and out of resources but i took alf hex lib and app from the zip alf provided (thanks a lot) copy them on my pc and copy them on the virtual dso and BenF 3.64 was on.

thanks again. al
jepeto

Thanks alf. just unzip your hex filescopy &saved them on th evirtual dso and presto BenF 3.64 was on.
Thanks again

Thank you Alf.

I have a DSO201, serial E1BE8DE3, Licence 1818C8BC Device Firmware Upgrade V3.22A

I did the following for reference:

I held ‘-’ (down? key) while turning on. I got a firmware upgrade screen.

I connected to my Linux laptop USB port. I got a “DFU V3_22_A” mounted device in Nautilus file manager.

I extracted your 2 hex files: V353_LIB.HEX and V364_APP.HEX from your zip file.

I copied (dragged) V353_LIB.HEX to DFU V3_22_A device. After a second, my DFU device vanished and then reappeared. File name had changed to .RDY.

I copied (dragged) V364_APP.HEX to DFU V3_22_A device. After a second, my DFU device vanished and then reappeared. File name had changed to .RDY.

I ejected DFU device.

I disconnected USB cable.

I turned off DSO and back on a few seconds later.

Beautiful! BenF Firmware now running.

Thanks Alf.
Thanks BenF.
Thanks to whoever designed and made this open hardware, open software DSO!

I got mine from this seller on ebay: ljstore2009

(Seems I’m not allowed to paste a URL)

Many thanks Alf.

My DSO nano v2 has the same problem.

Thanks.

I had this issue with my SainSmart DSO Nano - the Nano freezes on the boot screen. I tried to install both of the HEX files again and noticed that the V353_LIB.HEX resulted in a *.ERR file. So, I repeated the process, just copying over the V364_APP.HEX, which resolved the issue.

I too got caught out by buying a copy of DSO 201 from Ebay in September.
i got the one pictured on page 6 of this post “Digital storage Oscilloscope” and when you hold minus button at power on Device firmware upgrade 3.21a"
If you find yourself with one of these Do not download or use DFUSE because you cant use it.
Do not try to find or install any alternative windows USB drivers you dont need to.
if you have fitted a microSD card into the device remove it for the upgrade and deal with it later - these can cause freezing if incompatible

Get the 2 files from Alf’s attachment post for v3.64. “Next Step: BenF V364 / V353”( Alf post is 8th on page 4) when the USB connects open a folder to view files. Do not expect to see any files in the folder before you upgrade.
although it looks like a disk or a removable drive in windows it does not behave like a disk. just drop the files in and wait for them to transfer. no errors means all is well. the Device itself will not show any changes during upgrade.
Power off and on the DSO201 when you dare!
I know all this info is in the above posts i just thought it helpful to summarise it

Thank you to ALL the contributors for this post. not least all the pioneers including Alf and Mrstubbs you were amazing

Hello,

Sorry but don’t get it:

I got ver 1.5 with 2 GB SD card.

I take the card out;
power on the DSO in USB mode
screen remains blank
Windows disables the “unknown USB device”
what folder am I going to open when it connects?
where do I drop the files from Alf’s attachment?

This is all meant to provide a workaround for this proplem here http://www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3944

Stephan

Hello,

I am desperately looking for alf’s 3 following posts:
They seem to have vanished from this topic and originally contained the Benf 3.64 .HEX files. Where can I get them?

Hi,
no idea, who deleted these posts. The software is not from me, but from BenF. I have only rearranged the hex files. I hope no one had problems with it. I will upload it again. If there is a problem with the files, the one who deletes them should let me know why.
alf
BenF364_LIB353.zip (49.6 KB)

I have noticed some posts from other people also have been deleted, apparently randomly. In my own case it was more systematic: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4042