Debug Xiao SAMD21 with Atmel-ICE and VS Code

My need sounds fairly simple:
Connect my Atmel-ICE to my XIAO SAMD21(18) that is sitting on the Seeed Xiao Expansion board so I can set a breakpoint in VS Code and hit it.

My experience is with Atmel ATMega MCUs using Atmel Studio as my IDE. It is a simple matter to connect the ICE to my ATMega MCU board from the AVR header on the ICE to my JTAG header on my MCU board. Then - in Atmel Studio, select Atmel ICE as my debugger and go. Everything just works.

I need the same simplicity with the Xiao system.
Right now I have VS Code running platformio extension and I can connect to the USB port of the Xiao board and I can write, upload and run code just fine. But now I need to add hardware debugging to the mix.

My questions are:

1. What pins on the Atmel ICE connect to what pins on the Xiao Expansion board to make this possible? On the expansion board I see:

• Gnd
    • 3V
    • 5V
    • SWDIO
    • SWCLK
    • TX-6 (Uart I presume)
    • RX-7 (Uart I presume)
  2. What config files need setup in VS Code?

3. Is VS Code a proper IDE to use for this or should I use some other (Arduino for example)?

The image shows the XIAO components I wish to debug.

WoW lot’s to unpack here, This sheet here has all you need to know for the connection.(bottom right)

several posts on connecting up the “SWDIO” or SWD method are on here give those a look at a minimum.
Once connected and viewable in the Atmel App. Then PlatformIO will have some programmer menu populated , pick it, click a break point and GO!
YMMV based on your skill level and New Hardware Adaptability. :stuck_out_tongue:
Are you able to compile in PLIO?
I have a link on here with it some what documented. I’m using a Jlink , doesn’t really matter IMO same need different automobiles.

PLIO .ini to this:

Check this link for PLIO and SAMD21
HTH
GL :slight_smile: PJ :v: