XIAO Library Issue for TFT_eSIP with Arduino

Hi Seeed,

I was trying to make XIAO working with my TFT display ZJY-IPS130 which is a display using ST7789 controller. But the all demo code will cause XIAO not readable from PC and need a reset to bring it back. In Seeed_Arduino_LCD library it states you are using TFT_eSPI from but it seems some bug there to cause XIAO fault. Could you update the SPI configs for that library?

PS: SPI is no problem to use with SPI.h directly.

Regards

HI,
Have you configured Seeed_Arduino_LCD to adapt it to your hardware?

Yes, I configed as:

// For seeed samd21

#define HASSPI 0

#define SPICOM SPI

#define TFT_CS 5

#define TFT_DC 6

#define TFT_RST 3

and it has no problem to compile. Similar code has been used with ESP32 and it working fine.

1 Like

try #define HASSPI, and connect to the correct pin.

#define HASSPI 1
#define SPICOM SPI
#define TFT_CS   5
#define TFT_DC   6
#define TFT_RST  -1    // Set TFT_RST to -1 if the display RESET is connected to RST or 3.3V
// Only define one driver, the other ones must be commented out
#define ILI9341_DRIVER
//#define ST7735_DRIVER      // Define additional parameters below for this display
//#define ILI9163_DRIVER     // Define additional parameters below for this display
//#define S6D02A1_DRIVER
//#define RPI_ILI9486_DRIVER // 20MHz maximum SPI
//#define HX8357D_DRIVER
//#define ILI9481_DRIVER
//#define ILI9486_DRIVER
//#define ILI9488_DRIVER     // WARNING: Do not connect ILI9488 display SDO to MISO if other devices share the SPI bus (TFT SDO does NOT tristate when CS is high)
//#define ST7789_DRIVER      // Full configuration option, define additional parameters below for this display
//#define ST7789_2_DRIVER    // Minimal configuration option, define additional parameters below for this display
//#define R61581_DRIVER

// Some displays support SPI reads via the MISO pin, other displays have a single
// bi-directional SDA pin and the library will try to read this via the MOSI line.
// To use the SDA line for reading data from the TFT uncomment the following line:

// #define TFT_SDA_READ      // This option is for ESP32 ONLY, tested with ST7789 display only

//

I am trying to get a XIAO to TFT circuit working. I have attached the schematic. I have modified the User_Setup,h
// Only define one driver, the other ones must be commented out
//#define ILI9341_DRIVER
//#define ST7735_DRIVER // Define additional parameters below for this display
//#define ILI9163_DRIVER // Define additional parameters below for this display
//#define S6D02A1_DRIVER
//#define RPI_ILI9486_DRIVER // 20MHz maximum SPI
//#define HX8357D_DRIVER
//#define ILI9481_DRIVER
//#define ILI9486_DRIVER
//#define ILI9488_DRIVER // WARNING: Do not connect ILI9488 display SDO to MISO if other devices share the SPI bus (TFT SDO does NOT tristate when CS is high
#define ST7789_DRIVER // Full configuration option, define additional parameters below for this display
//#define ST7789_2_DRIVER // Minimal configuration option, define additional parameters below for this display
//#define R61581_DRIVER

// For ST7789, ST7735 and ILI9163 ONLY, define the pixel width and height in portrait orientation
// #define TFT_WIDTH 80
// #define TFT_WIDTH 128
#define TFT_WIDTH 240 // ST7789 240 x 240 and 240 x 320
// #define TFT_HEIGHT 160
// #define TFT_HEIGHT 128
#define TFT_HEIGHT 240 // ST7789 240 x 240
// #define TFT_HEIGHT 320 // ST7789 240 x 320

// For seeed samd21
#define HASSPI 1
#define SPICOM SPI
//#define TFT_CS 5
#define TFT_DC 4
#define TFT_RST 5 // Set TFT_RST to -1 if the display RESET is connected to RST or 3.3V
Anything I try ends up with a blank screen. Any suggestions or your own circuit and code?
Thanks,
Bill

Where can I go and see if this was ever resolved. If it was it may seem obvious to you but it’s not for me. I’ve been struggling with this for a week.

1.Why do you comment out CS?
You need to connect LCD to SPI, then connect CS and DC to any pin and specify it, and then set RST to - 1. Remember to connect BL to 3.3V, if you don’t need to control it, otherwise you can connect to any pin and pull it up

what about a backlight pin?

backlight pin is generally connected to VCC power

Bill did you ever resolve this? I am planning to go this route, but wanted to make sure
it was doable.

I believe there are two ways around this. The first is to add a CS line to the display:

(I tried this and made some comments.
The second is a software work-around that also worked but required changing some of the TFT_sPI settings:

These photos are showing a Pi Pico but the XIAO should work also. It has been a while since I worked on this, but I think this is correct information.

I am new to software. I am trying to connect this same display. But for all program result as blank display. Please guide me or send any video link with xiao ble and TFT 240X240