Why am I getting such error for XIAO nRF52840 Sense?

Arduino gives this error for XIAO nrf52840 Sense. I programmed it a few days ago with no problems, but now I keep getting port-related errors. How can I fix it?

Sketch uses 21212 bytes (2%) of program storage space. The maximum is 811008 bytes.
Global variables use 3096 bytes (1%) of dynamic memory, leaving 234472 bytes for local variables. The maximum is 237568 bytes.
Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port COM24
processing.app.debug.RunnerException
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:152)
at cc.arduino.UploaderUtils.upload(UploaderUtils.java:77)
at processing.app.SketchController.upload(SketchController.java:732)
at processing.app.SketchController.exportApplet(SketchController.java:703)
at processing.app.Editor$UploadHandler.run(Editor.java:2061)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: processing.app.SerialException: Error touching serial port ‘COM24’.
at processing.app.Serial.touchForCDCReset(Serial.java:107)
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:136)
… 5 more
Caused by: jssc.SerialPortException: Port name - COM24; Method name - openPort(); Exception type - Port busy.
at jssc.SerialPort.openPort(SerialPort.java:164)
at processing.app.Serial.touchForCDCReset(Serial.java:101)
… 6 more

Hi,
Have you tried to restart the board using the reset key? If that doesn’t work, you can try two quick clicks to get into boot loader mode

@Seeed_Jostar Entering bootloader mode can often help in situations where the device is unresponsive or not functioning as expected. Bootloader mode allows you to update or modify the firmware on the device.
Regard, Goldentreeroofing

It seems like you’re encountering an error with the XIAO nRF52840 Sense board. However, you haven’t provided the specific error message or context, making it challenging to provide a precise solution. Error messages can vary widely depending on the software, tools, and environment you’re using.

If you can provide more details about the error message you’re receiving, the steps you’ve taken before encountering the error, and the software/tools you’re using, I’d be happy to try to assist you further.

In the meantime, here are some general troubleshooting steps you can take if you encounter errors with a development board like the xxxa or XIAO nRF52840 Sense:

1. Check Connections: Ensure that your board is connected properly to your computer, and all necessary cables and connections are secure.
  2. Update Drivers: Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your XIAO nRF52840 Sense board, especially if it requires drivers for proper communication with your computer.
  3. Check Software: Verify that you are using the correct software, development environment, and toolchain for programming and debugging the board.
  4. Review Documentation: Consult the official documentation for the XIAO nRF52840 Sense board and any associated software/tools to see if there are any specific troubleshooting steps or recommendations for handling errors.
  5. Search for Solutions: If you have a specific error message, try searching online forums, communities, or documentation for others who may have encountered the same issue and found a solution.
  6. Restart and Reset: Sometimes, a simple restart of your computer, development environment, or board can resolve unexpected issues.
  7. Update Firmware: Check if there are any firmware updates available for your board, and update it if necessary.
  8. Contact Support: If you’re unable to resolve the issue on your own, consider reaching out to the manufacturer’s support or community forums for assistance.

Remember that providing detailed information about the error message, your setup, and the steps you’ve taken can greatly help in diagnosing and resolving the problem.

I’m consistently facing port-related errors when attempting to upload code. Despite trying common troubleshooting steps like disconnecting and reconnecting the board and checking for conflicting applications using the serial port ‘COM24,’ the issue persists. The error message indicates a ‘Port busy’ problem, and it’s hindering my project progress.

Hello AndrewBrook,
So having programmed many pieces, and No specific code posted. I would offer this. Try first to connect to another Win10 or 11 computer/Laptop. Second if windows doesn’t recognise it initially , moving forward is usually a dead end.
ALWAYS select the Board and Port no matter what it say’s. (IDE) mbed vs. non-mbed.
Have a Basic Sketch ready to test with that loads on Others without issue.
Have more than one way to Read/program a device , IDE or Nrf Connect for DeskTop with the programmer.

I would start there. My .02 YMMV
HTH
GL :slight_smile: PJ