RS485 NH3 (Ammonia) sensor + S2100 Data Logger

Hi Lee,

I’m Franck, a new professional customer of Seeed. I have a problem with RS485 NH3 (Ammonia) sensor + S2100 Data Logger. I don’t know how to calibrate and connect the sensor with the data logger. I’m using sensevap portal.
I sent to you an invitation on Discord to explain to you more about the issue.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi there,
Have you gone through the Document, Do you have a Zero gas for calibration?
Can you show a picture of how it is connected?
Do you get data from it already or is that a problem. It’s a RS-485 device so not too big of a deal to get working? Power is +5v or ?
HTH
GL :slight_smile: PJ :v:

make sure that the USB to RS485 is compatible with your operating system. Check that drivers are properly installed and Test the converter with other RS485 devices.

If you ever consider anything simpler and cheaper for ammonia detection, you can consider MQ137: MQ137 Ammonia Gas Sensor: Datasheet, Pinout & Working - The Engineering Projects
Grove - Multichannel Gas Sensor is also another alternative:https://www.seeedstudio.com/Grove-Multichannel-Gas-Sensor.html

Hi there,
So coming from a UltraPure gas background, semiconductor FAB and SCADA POV
Well they are NOT really in the same league, 50 PPm with a slope more like a Hump. 48hrs to get dry’ed down vs, 100PM with a slew of <60sec, startup in clean air of 5minutes. :face_with_peeking_eye:
one needs a Heater … No not at all even close.

Sure it will work for purely detection sort of, but in a measurement enviro , Kaka…
Check both Data sheets you’ll be enlightened. the op was asking about a comm issue not a price point…LOL :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:
, just messin with you…
Good stuff though.
“Simpler and cheaper” Not even, what is a matter with RS-485 (it’s VERY GOOD) the sensor you link to needs some more, a lot more to do anything close the the S-NH3-01
Not to mention the S2100 is a $70 dollar tank. No he got the GOOD industrial grade stuff just needs to connect it up correctly , I do However like the MOS sensor in the grove piece but again only 300ppm in smaller form for hobbyist, so the juice isn’t worth the squeeze so to speak unless it’s just being used for a “presence” detector.
Again his setup is out of the package ready to go, The other route needs much more and therefore cost more in the END, IMO.
take what I’m soapbox’n with a grain of salt.

1 Like

Dear PJ_Glasso,

Thank you very much for your reactivity and support. I didn’t saw the techsheet doc before.

I was a little scared when I started reading your post. :face_with_peeking_eye:

I want to connect them to S2100 because we need an easy to connect and configure professional grade solution for industrial environment (livestock). I already bought 7 x RS485 NH3 Sensors and 7 S2100 as for environment measurment not detection sensor not only for presence detection.
I still at connection stage. Their is multiple input possibilities. I’m hesitating. Besides, their is 12 V input for the data logger. Do you think that we should connect an external DC charger to the data logger ?
Thanks in advance. :handshake:
Franck :raising_hand_man:

Hi liaifat85,
Thank you very much for your help.
In fact, MQ137 and Grove - Multichannel Gas Sensor are smaller and cheaper but it needs higher technical skills to be installed. Besides, they are probably used for presence detection. As i said to PJ_Glasso, I need an out of the box industrial grade “plug and play” solution for a LoraWan NH3 measurement solution.
Franck :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Johnny004,
Thank you for your help.
I feel happy and confident about the collaboration of the forum membres.

:upside_down_face:

Hi there,
Yes the RS-485 allows a multi_drop of connections One master the Data-Logger and the NH#'s as Slaves. You basically connect Power and Grounds and Connect all the +"s together and all the (-)'s poll each unit by address for it’s data. Use the provided tool to poll or test comms.

Download.
The data sheet has all the info you need to test the first unit , connect the wires,setting Baud Rate on logger and go!
HTH

Use the Guide to help set it up

Page 3 statup section is good.

In the end you’ll have a great multi-node Sensor network :+1:

1 Like

Yes connect the Power (12V) to the logger and provide 5V to the sensor. :+1:

Thank you very much PJ_Glasso.
I really appreciate your help.
I have hours of reading and testing now.
I will share the good news :+1:

1 Like