reTerminal: ooops! I clicked "update" the second time it rebooted!

I had trouble going through the 1st system setup and it rebooted before I finished answering the initial questions. The second time I plugged in a mini wireless keyboard and finished until it came to the “update”. Being so used to updating RaspberryPi OS I clicked OK (ooops!). I then discovered I was supposed to SKIP that. I want to keep the emmc version of booting. How do I get back to your “image”?

That does bring up another question. What about adding libraries and other accessories/apps? Is your pre-installed OS version unique? That is, does it have extra drivers etc to work with the reTerminal?
If at sometime in the future, I want the newer raspberry pi OS how do I make sure it has all the necessary drivers and such to make reTerminal fully functional? Or will you provide an “image” at that time?
One tutorial says to connect the reTerminal to PC via USB-C - that means instead of plugging the reTermianl into power and plugging it into another USB-C on the PC?
Is there a tutorial on what all the buttons on reTerminal do and general help? I get that the green button is ON/OFF but I have no idea what the other ones are for unless they are ONLY user definable?

I started the process on my Windows 10, of reloading RPOS on emmc. The mass storage drive is not formatted (disk management) and asks me to format - I did not. I ran the imager anyway and it started writing to the emmc and then quit after several seconds giving me “error”. Looks like I am stuck.

What about doing this on another Raspberry Pi? I only see options for Windows, MAC and Ubuntu.

I just started the process over on another Windows 10 PC and made sure I followed each step exactly. It is now writing to the EMMC. (I must have missed something the first time).
I am not supposed to UPGRADE the OS (not sure why) but it must be OK to add Libraries? What else is OK to add to reTerminal without having to start the reLoading again?

Are the Overlays compatible with Raspberry Pi “Bullseye”? If not, will you let us know if and when they are?

I am ALMOST back to way reTerminal was when I first received it. I could not access the reTerminal via SSH from my Windows 10 system. Used another raspberrypi and was able to install the overlays. Apparently, when accomplishing the overlays “bullseye” kernel was automatically included!

1. However, I do not have the on screen keyboard.
  2. The Touch interface also does not seem to be working. I can touch and move finger on screen and all it will do is make a rectangle. Tried using a stylus and it does nothing.
  3. I received my reTerminal 1st week of November 2021. Typed the command: i2cdetect -y 1 and it appears I have the (If you see 0x20 I2C address, the reTerminal is equipped with MCP23008 chip) I saw the “UU” as shown for the MCP23008 chip plus there was a “20” at location ROW 20 and Column 0 which is different from the documentation (shows another “UU”) at that location…

It seems there are very few examples and the formal “wiki” documentation for the reTerminal seems sparse (lacking). Is there another location for additional “noob” help?

Found out how to install on board keyboard. See:

Still do not have touch capabilities. Also noticed at the overlay github that there is a step 2!
Do I assume this was not accomplished with the overlays?
Also, I still have an icon on my reTerminal saying I have updates. I am guessing I do NOT want that, or I have to start over again!!?
Does Tech support look at this forum? If so how long a wait before a reply?

Today, 07 December 2021.
I really needs some advise on what I can do bring my reTerminal back to the same state before I clicked the “update” setting up the first time.
Something is missing from the overlays, at least the “touch” ability and possibly more.
I do not know where to go from here. Are there any what-ifs something does not work then do ____?
I have run out of ideas.

I just tried the buzzer.py from “https://github.com/Seeed-Studio/Seeed_Python_ReTerminal/tree/main/samples
The results were:

%Run test_buzzer.py
BUZZER ON
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/pi/Documents/test_buzzer.py”, line 7, in
rt.buzzer = True
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/seeed_python_reterminal/core.py”, line 57, in buzzer
self.__write_to_file(_Core.__BUZZER_BRIGHTNESS, “1” if value else “0”)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/seeed_python_reterminal/core.py”, line 64, in __write_to_file
with open(file_name, “w”) as f:
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/sys/class/leds/usr_buzzer/brightness’

something else that is not working as it should!
Thank you and looking forward to some assistance. Do I need to start over with a another pi image and ssh, for example?

08 December 2021
started over. re-Imaged the reTerminal following instructions as best as possible. There are several discrepancies in the documentation provided on the wiki and github reference. I can provide a copy of my procedure and the output if there is interest.
A couple mentions:
Although the Touch test provided output I still cannot use stylus or finger to “click” on an icon for example.
evtest did NOT show GPIO_keys
sudo hwclock failed (wclock: cannot access the hardware clock via any know method.)

cd /sys/class/leds/usr_buzzer
From https://wiki.seeedstudio.com/reTerminal-hardware-interfaces-usage/
There is no folder “usr” anything
Another discrepancy! The contents of “leds” folder follow:
Default-on
Input45:: {compose, numlock, mmc0, capslock, kana, scrolllock, mmc0::}

sudo pip3 install seeed-python-reterminal
Successfully accomplished
unfortunately, something was not installed or went to the wrong location “core” for example.
I copied the button.py program, used nano to paste it but upon executing it the following resulted:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ python3 button.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/pi/button.py”, line 5, in
device = rt.get_button_device()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/seeed_python_reterminal/core.py”, line 84, in get_button_device
return evdev.InputDevice(self.__get_button_device_path())
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/evdev/device.py”, line 126, in init
fd = os.open(dev, os.O_RDWR | os.O_NONBLOCK)
TypeError: open: path should be string, bytes or os.PathLike, not NoneType

I tried the same with the buzzer with the same results.

I still need some help getting my reTerminal back to a working state! Thank you in advance.

I was able to receive a response from SEEED, which follows:
SEEED response:
So now we have fixed this bug from the Raspberry Pi OS factory image and you can find the latest images here 52. Please flash the OS using this wiki 50, and then you can update the reTerminal as usual. Here is the LINK: FAQs for reTerminal Usage - Seeed Wiki (seeedstudio.com). (Important: This is it, no need to reload overlays!)

I also joined Discord per recommendation.
I also successfully attached a RPi NOIR camera and took some pictures.