reServer Mod - Added 2nd fan

I got the reServer i5-1135G7 version in November 2021 and I’ve been using it as my main server running PopOS 21.04. The machine performs wonderfully and looks super cool.

However, the fan that comes with it sucks. It emits a high pitched sound that is absolutely unbearable and gets even worse when the fan spins up. I have the reServer sitting in a closet with the door closed and I can hear the high pitch sound through the door.

I decided to replace the bottom fan with a Noctua NF-A9 PWM 92mm fan and it was completely silent. Under full load, all I hear is a low ‘swoosh’ sound - far better than the high pitch whine from the default fan.

Although the temperature remained below the CPU’s thermal throttle threshold, I didn’t like how high it was reaching under load and I would prefer to have a little redundancy. So I decided to add a second fan. With this setup, I get great airflow, low noise, and redundancy.

This is what it looks like:

I designed the fan bracket, in the same design language as the case, and 3D printed it in PETG. Inside the bracket houses a Noctua NF-A9x14 (92mm x 14mm) fan. This sits snugly where the top cover used to be and the original top cover sits on the top of the bracket.

I added 4x M3 heat set inserts into the bracket so I can use the original thumbscrews to secure the bracket to the case and use 4x M3 8mm hex screws to secure the original top cover to the bracket.

**I’m making the 3D model available on my website for free so you can print your own: **
https://dickson.industries/products/reserver-fan-bracket

You’ll need to 3D print this with supports. I use Prusa Slicer. Recommended material is PETG. Make sure you set the “Support Material” > “Overhang threshold” setting to 20 degrees to prevent unnecessary printing of supports.

Hope you find this helpful. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Bracket with Noctua fan

I love the reServer.

:+1::+1::+1:,Of course, you can choose Noctua fan to get more quiet. The default fan is AVC industrial serial (dual ball type), have balance performance and life time that’s why we choose it.

1 Like

Hi Bruce, I do notice the AVC fan is VERY powerful but unfortunately, my ears can’t handle the high pitched sound. I would be happy to pay a higher price for the reServer if it is quieter. The design of the reServer is absolutely beautiful and all my friends want to order one but decided not to when they heard the noise of the original fan.

@dbot Thanks for your feed back. :grinning: For some customers who place the machine too close and senstive with the fan noise, we take a convert cable in the box, you can take place of the original with others low noise fan.
Like this:

Yes, I did used that cable and I appreciate it for including it! I wish I could purchase an extra one since I needed two. I just ended up using that adapter for the top fan and cut the cable from the original AVC fan and made an adapter for the bottom fan.

hello

This is Seeed Technical Support, can you send an email to [email protected] with your address?

I’ll deal with the problem for you promptly.

Very nice. Exactly what I need. I already swapped out the fan for a Noctua. I’m running a Frigate server and it gets a little toasty. My temps are hovering around 60-65. I would be interested in buying a pre-printed one. Although this might be the thing that pushing me into the 3d print world. Thanks for sharing.

Glad you like it @mattamus. Let me know if you want a preprinted one. I still have some left over inserts and nuts to make a few more sets.

Thanks @dbot appreciate the offer. I just got your plans and will be ordering a printer soon. My family is excited to get into 3d printing :-). I did a mockup with a second fan and and wow it really helped with the temps. About 15-20 degree drop under ~30% load with original fan on top and Nactua on Bottom. This fan mod will make things nice and clean.

Hello, are you still giving away the STL? Or is purchase now the only way? Thank you.

Hi @wickedgtr, purchase is the only way now. You can get it here:

Thank you!

It would be great if Seeed decided to offer this adapter as a separate purchase. After all, at least on the reServer motherboard, there are 2 fan ports.

dbot’s solution is very elegant and works well to fit with the current aesthetics of the reServer. I’ve noticed better cooling on my CPU, motherboard, and HDDs between 3-5 degrees on average. I used a Noctua A9 for the lower fan and a A9x14mm for the top fan. Since I had thrown away the original fan, I wasn’t able to splice the connector (and couldn’t buy an additional adapter from Seeed), so I ended up using the splitter that came with the Noctua fan. Overall, working well and appreciative of dbot’s time in creating this mod.

I made some improvements to the 3D model for easier printing. It is now available on my Etsy page:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1652961601/reserver-bracket

Hmm, Nice but it’s not FREE?
Looks better in Silver IMO. Noctua is the truth. I wouldn’t do an I5 in such tight space IMO.
I post FREE 3D prints to help the community. Your not getting rich on this one LOL, Shipping is more than the Part . WTH?
You only really need it if you have the I5 or Higher.
Nice drawing though.
GL :slight_smile: PJ :v:

Thank you for your kind words. I already made $1.4 million off of this model so I’m selling it super cheap now to help the community out. Not sure why you are saying the shipping is expensive since it is a DIGITAL DOWNLOAD. I agree, Noctua is GOD.
I have the i5 version and with HDD and SDD populated, it really needs and exhaust fan. My customers agree.
Anywho, cool story bro. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like