My reServer i51135 is missing the TPM firmware options after performing a bios update in an identical way to this post ODYSSEY X86J4105 TPM missing in BIOS
When navigating to the TPM menu in BIOS i also see the “NO Security Device Found”
The firmware feature was present prior to bios update. My suspicion is that some form of the bios update breaks the TPM feature. I was using the instructions here: Upgrading BIOS and Installing Drivers | Seeed Studio Wiki
What i have tried:
Clearing CMOS by unplugging battery (verified that it cleared by reviewing the time/date after plugging the battery back in.
Re-flashing the BIOS, including modifying the BIOS.nsh file to use the REWRITE flag for fpt
using fpt at the uefi shell to confirm the flash was successful
Clearing CMOS again by unplugging battery (verified that it cleared by reviewing the time/date after plugging the battery back in.
Restore bios defaults
Making various changes to BIOS settings trying to get the device to show up.
Many commands unrelated to BIOS flashing that i was playing around with fpt trying to get more information fail because of “ME device disabled” or similar errors. Is the TPM function tied to Intel ME?
My device did not require several minutes at first boot up from the BIOS upgrade, and does not need this time on sequential reflashes
From my research, the TPM functionality is handled by Intel ME, and some aspect of this BIOS update has caused Intel ME to become disabled. I verified that Intel ME was disabled by running meinfowin64.
The provided drivers for the reServer " Intel® Converged Security and Management Engine Driver" also now fail to install.
Is Intel ME officially disabled in the latest available build of this BIOS?
@skygrip I see you referenced my original TPM issue post from some time ago. I was never able to find a solution that I can offer you but my TPM module did eventually reappear in the BIOS.
I walked away from the project for a bit and left the machine sitting, unused for a couple months. When I returned to it and went through a series of normal software updates it suddenly gave me a notification that it was “ready to install Windows 11”. This triggered me to look back into system devices and the BIOS and low and behold the TPM module was suddenly recognized again. I have no idea what triggered the change unfortunately.
It’s not any help I realize but it at least does indicate that the problem CAN be fixed, just not HOW to fix it.
I intended to use Linux for this system, but as a test i installed windows 11, installed all the drivers and updated windows and left it for a few hours and restarted it a dozen or so times (including pulling the power plug and CMOS battery) and this made no change. Intel ME still would not become operational
Im going to try re-flashing the SPI chip out-of-circuit with a bus pirate and see if there was any weirdness caused by read/write permissions.
EDIT: I re-flashed the SPI chip out-of-circuit with a bus pirate, and this made no change to the TPM situation. Unless there is also data stored on the CPU or other devices, i would conclude something is wrong with the BIOS ROM file