NPi i.MX6ULL Dev Board - Linux Porting Learning Platform

Hi all

just a quick question - am thinking to pick up a NPi i.MX6ULL Dev Board (eMMC version) as a hacking/learning platform. They are cheap enough that, in theory, if I screw up royally, then I haven’t lost too much; it’s also one of the cheapest way to get into i.MX6 boards.

One are I am looking to explore is porting boards - as a beginning buildroot with U-Boot; looking at th GitHub repo I can see a pre-built image for Debian, which is great! there is a reference image to work from and all peripherals are known to work, but perhaps leaves the challenge of building my own image without getting stuck too far too soon - the end goal is to be build the skills to develop custom boards and port linux for them.

So

1. does anyone see an issue with this approach?
  2. can anyone recommend a better approach to this learning exercise?
  3. can anyone recommend a good reference for this learning exercise?

(this post is related to this post NPi i.MX6ULL Dev Board - HAB - I have split the posts so that they stand on their own for future reference)

Postscript - I have a found a reference that covers a similar exercise using Beaglebone Black - so I have that board ordered in order to work on that path, but given I wish to purchase the NPI board to experimenting with HAB, then this board would be an alternative to practice the same skills on. But advice on how to approach this exercise with the NPI board would be appreciated

All the NPi i.MX6ULL software is developed by me. If you encounter any problem, you can discuss it with me in the forum. I’m glad to help you. @ClubmanPlus850