New reTerminal, powers up with blank screen

Everyone including the author of this blog is eagerly awaiting the expansion modules

Thank you Itā€™s work for me.

TL;DR:
My reTerminal works when I flash the reTerminal factory image. But, sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade makes the screen non-functional after reboot.

Question:
Has everyone (anyone?) had success using standard Debian updates in the last year with this piece of hardware? Iā€™m using ā€œ32bit-20220721T012743Z-001.zipā€ and ā€œ64bit-20220721T012743Z-001.zipā€ for these tests.

Details:
My reTerminal worked when I first turned it on.

Did sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade.

Screen was blank on reboot.

Re-flashed image, but used 64-bit version.

Screen didnā€™t work.

Figured, Iā€™d update the STM32 firmware.

Followed the procedure to determine version.

The firmware corresponded to i2cdetect being ā€œ1.7 or laterā€

Followed upgrade procedure.

Problem: Seems to be the wrong architecture.
Solution: Re-flashed the 32-bit version of the reTerminal factory image.

Screen did not work, but as the STM32 was already in the mode where itā€™s expected to accept new firmware, I wasnā€™t worried.

Followed the STM32 upgrade procedurer.

Screen didnā€™t work after reboot.

Reflashed the 32-bit version of reTerminal stock OS.

Screen worked.

Note, i2cdetect shows the following now. I find this unexpected, but the screen works.

user009@tclab009:~ $ i2cdetect -y 1
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:                         -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- UU -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Installed unattended-upgrade, so I could at least get security patches in case upgrade never works.

Tried sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Screen is blank even before I reboot.

sudo halt

Screen is blank after I start again.

I just purchased a ReTerminal, this is April of 2023 ā€” and have this exact issue.

It updates, then breaks itself because the LCD no longer works.

I also am still having this problem. I have worked with ~20 different reTerminals for a few months now and have began to run into this problem very often. There seems to be periods of time when updating does not break the LCD driver, but as of right now updating will disable the screen. The only way I have been able to get the screen working is to flash image and then not update.

I bought a reTerminal yesterday and have the same issue. Tried all method listed in the wiki but no use. Looks like this issue is never been resolved correctly. :worried:

There are two ways to solve this problemļ¼š
1态Because the driver of the original external device will disappear after updating, you need to brush the LCD driver again after updating reterminal. The Wiki is as follows:
ļ¼ˆchapter is Install reTerminal drivers after flashing new Raspberry Pi OS/ Ubuntu OS or Other OS ļ¼‰

2态Brush back to the factory image, which contains all the drivers. The factory image Wiki is as follows:
ļ¼ˆ Q2: How can I flash Raspberry Pi OS which is originally shipped with reTerminal?ļ¼‰

August 2023, received the device and first updateā€¦ the same issueā€¦ 2y the issue is not resolved.
Trying to resolve with workarounds. Following the FAQ and wiki pages:

• I try to switch the device to usb-boot. When I move down the switch, the device is detected on windows but I donā€™t have a USB Mass device, I only have a usb device named boot in device manager. So I canā€™t flash the initial RpiOS.

• I tried to access the device with SSH, I can login and run commands. I tried to re-install the drivers as in the Wiki. The command gives error during compilation. I canā€™t install it.

So I have a bricked device nowā€¦ What else can I try? What a disappointing buy.

Log for compilation error :

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel. Skippingā€¦

Building module:

cleaning build areaā€¦(bad exit status: 2)
make -j4 KERNELRELEASE=6.1.21-v7l+ all KVERSION=6.1.21-v7l+ā€¦(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 6.1.21-v7l+ (aarch64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build/make.log for more information.
Canā€™t compile with this kernel, aborting
Please try to compile with the option --compat-kernel
DKMS make.log for mipi_dsi-0.1 for kernel 6.1.21-v7l+ (aarch64)
Thu 10 Aug 2023 03:06:13 PM CEST
make -C /lib/modules/6.1.21-v7l+/build M=/var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build modules
make[1]: Entering directory ā€˜/usr/src/linux-headers-6.1.21-v7l+ā€™
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build/mipi_dsi_drv.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build/touch_panel.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build/panel-ili9881d.o
In file included from ./include/linux/types.h:6,
from ./include/linux/limits.h:6,
from ./include/linux/kernel.h:16,
from ./include/linux/interrupt.h:6,
from /var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build/mipi_dsi.h:15,
from /var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build/touch_panel.c:1:
./include/uapi/linux/types.h:5:10: fatal error: asm/types.h: No such file or directory
5 | #include <asm/types.h>
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
from /var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build/panel-ili9881d.c:8:
./include/uapi/linux/types.h:5:10: fatal error: asm/types.h: No such file or directory
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
from /var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build/mipi_dsi_drv.c:11:
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
compilation terminated.
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:250: /var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build/touch_panel.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobsā€¦
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:250: /var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build/panel-ili9881d.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:250: /var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build/mipi_dsi_drv.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile:2012: /var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory ā€˜/usr/src/linux-headers-6.1.21-v7l+ā€™
make: *** [Makefile:15: all] Error 2

Wiki pages information are WRONG.
Could you update them or I need to ask for a refund for a bricked device after 5min usage?

Yes i too tried out a reTerminal for the first time to create a quick project just yesterday, and found that the screen went blank. Leading me here.

I have reinstalled the 32bit version outlined just above and the screen worked.
Tried updating, and the same problem occurs.
Tried reinstalling drivers and this did not help.
Tried the 64bit version and no screen.
Currently reinstalling the 32bit version again.

Quite disappointing.

do you run the rpiboot tool after flicking switch down and plugging into windows PC?
I had trouble getting the rpiboot tool to recognise the eMMC flash.
It wasnā€™t until I disconnected all other usb peripherals that it worked and brought up the mass storage device.

Yes I run it. I was able to flash the eMMC.
The reTerminal image is having issues after each upgrade. It is just unusable.
I finally installed RaspberryOS 64bit and reTerminal drivers. Now I can upgrade as well without impact on drivers. It works for the moment but lost a few hours just to have the basics running as expected at switch-on.

I would suggest installing the official Raspberry OS 64 bits and reTerminal drivers (with remote SSH) and then it works for me. And I can upgrade as well. I installed Gnome to see if it is better for the touch screen.

Thanks! i will try that also. I had already tried with the 64bit OS but didnt have much luck. Will try one more time then move on to a more reliable device.

Sadly this doesnā€™t work. :confused:

When I look into dmesg I see

i2c_mipi_dsi 1-0045: I2C read id failed: -5

Also following guide from https://wiki.seeedstudio.com/reterminal_black_screen/ gives error at the step:

i2ctransfer -y 1 w2@0x45 0x9b 0x01
Error: Sending messages failed: Remote I/O error

After further investigation I/O error sounded like a hardware issue to me. So I powered off the device and disassambled it. After which I disconnected all cables going to display and reconnected. After that device booted up normally with the display working again.
Still left confused, since I donā€™t know whether the cables were faulty or it just required cold start instead of reboot. I2C error from dmesg also is gone.

1.sudo raspi-config
2.OPEN SPI态I2C态Seril态l-Wire态Remote GPIO
pi_config_ssh
3.sudo reboot

• 1. Clone the following repo
sudo apt install git -y
git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/Seeed-Studio/seeed-linux-dtoverlays
  • 2. Enter the repo
cd seeed-linux-dtoverlays

NOTE

For 32bit OS you will need to add following before execute sudo ./scripts/reTerminal.sh

echo arm_64bit=0 | sudo tee -a /boot/config.txt
  • 3. Type the following to install the drivers
sudo ./scripts/reTerminal.sh
  1. reboot

Oof, new user also hitting this (and more than a bit disappointed with seeedā€¦). Iā€™m getting the asm/types.h include errors and donā€™t see a way around it - the callouts to 32-bit OSā€™ throw me as itā€™s an aarch64 chip with an aarch64 kernel - are some reTerminal devices 32-bit, or are people just putting a 32-bit OS on them? Since thereā€™s been no updates to the wiki or posts from Seeed am I guessing right that the reTerminal is known-broken-and-still-sold-anyway?

Hello,
I have updated my reTerminal with the latest 64bit version retrieved from this wik: FAQs for reTerminal Usage | Seeed Studio Wiki version 2022/06/20. It works perfectly, the screen lights up and I have access to the sensor data, but when I update the reTerminal via the following FaQ: FAQs for reTerminal Usage | Seeed Studio Wiki. the screen no longer lights up.
I donā€™t understand why, can you help me?

It seems that you havenā€™t installed the driver for your screen. Installing the screen driver is the most effective way to resolve the issue of the screen not lighting up.