New reTerminal, powers up with blank screen

Hello @ScottCLT,

Do you mean when you use the seeed-python-reterminal library?

Did you first test with “evtest” tool?

Also, please attach the output of “i2cdetect -y 1”. It will help me to check the issue further.

Best Regards,
Lakshantha

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am trying to use the seeed-python-reterminal library.

I was unfamiliar with evtest, but I installed it and this is the output:

No device specified, trying to scan all of /dev/input/event*
Available devices:
/dev/input/event0:	Riitek Micro Keyboard Mouse
/dev/input/event1:	Riitek Micro Keyboard
/dev/input/event2:	seeed-tp
/dev/input/event3:	Riitek Micro Keyboard Consumer Control
/dev/input/event4:	vc4
/dev/input/event5:	ST LIS3LV02DL Accelerometer
/dev/input/event6:	vc4
Select the device event number [0-6]:

I did not see the device to test, so I did not proceed.

I also ran i2cdetect -y 1. Here is the output of that:

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU -- -- -- -- -- -- 
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU -- -- -- -- -- -- 
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 38 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
40: -- -- -- -- -- UU -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --                         

Sorry, I have no idea what I’m looking at in those results! :slight_smile:

Hello @ScottCLT,

Let me make it clear for you about the debugging.

From the i2cdetect command, we can check whether the drivers for the inbuilt hardware has been properly loaded:

i2cdetect -y 1

• 0x19 - accelerometer
  • 0x29 - light sensor
  • 0x38 - IO-extender - buzzer, LEDs and buttons
  • 0x45 - LCD

i2cdetect -y 3

• 0x51 - RTC
  • 0x60 - Encryption processor

However, if the drivers are loaded, you should see UU instead of the I2C address.

But in your output above, 0x38 is not loaded which means the drivers for buzzer, LEDs and buttons are not loaded. This is quite unusual.

Could you please reflash with the below image and try again?

Try the 32-bit at first.

Best Regards,
Lakshantha

1 Like

I bought one in November 2021 and it still has this problem.
Unfortunately the wiki instructions don’t work for me due to rpiboot issue: https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=273995

Not sure where to go from here. Love the design. When can I safely buy one that works?

Hello @Paulware,

Can I know which operating system are you using on your computing to run the rpiboot tool?

Came here to say I’ve had the same experience:
Was working fine (didn’t let it do the updates during setup), I had setup SSH keys, connected to WiFi etc.
Decided to do the old “apt update && apt upgrade”, next time I rebooted (which was a while later so I didn’t realized that was the cause at first) the screen stayed blank and the SYS light stayed on.

Using the instructions linked above fixed the issue but I don’t expect to have to reinstall the display drivers every time I do an update. Definitely a disappointing user experience.

Hello @ollytheninja,

If you have flashed the 2021-09-14-Raspbian(modified) RPi OS, you don’t have to reinstall the display drivers after future updates. We have fixed it.

Why am I having this problem with the WIO Terminal (3 units no usable screen in the Arduino IDE but usable screen with circuit python). Is there a fix for this? I don’t want to convert my programs from C to CP.

See my earlier posts.
tomfitzphilly

Hello @tomfitzphilly,

This thread is about reTerminal. Please ask your question in a new thread,

Thank you.

It all works now, I just needed to run rpiboot then rpiImager.
I did need to load the seeedstudio .img https://files.seeedstudio.com/wiki/ReTerminal/RPiOS_Images/2021-06-02-Raspbian-reTerminal/image_2021-06-02-Raspbian-reTerminal.zip, and avoid any official update.

Does seeedstudio have a more recent .img available after 2021-06-02?

Hello @Paulware,

Please use our latest images (2021-09-14):

https://wiki.seeedstudio.com/reTerminal-FAQ/#q2-how-can-i-flash-raspberry-pi-os-which-is-originally-shipped-with-reterminal

Best Regards,
Lakshantha

I got a new unit today - 2/4/2022 and experienced the same behavior - powered on, it asked to update, I updated and now I have a brick.

Is this the same bug from July 2021?

Hello @proteus,

I deeply apologize for this. It is the same bug as before. Possibly it was not flashed to the latest version in the product line which is a very rare case.

You can fix it by flashing the latest images (2021-09-14):

Please use this guide for flashing:

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Best Regards,
Lakshantha

I must admit I wasn’t prepared for a simple sudo apt upgrade to render the display in this unit useless. If I wanted to run headless I have plenty of other (and considerably cheaper) Pi’s.

I have followed your steps above and flashed the latest 32-Bit image, but sadly still no joy:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ i2cdetect -y 1
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – – – – – – – – – – – – –
10: – – – – – – – – – UU – – – – – –
20: – – – – – – – – – UU – – – – – –
30: – – – – – – – – UU – – – – – – –
40: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
50: – – – – – – 56 – – – – – – – – –
60: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
70: – – – – – – – –

I am missing something else to do, as I’ve already done:
Download the drivers…

git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/Seeed-Studio/seeed-linux-dtoverlays

cd to the directory…

cd seeed-linux-dtoverlays

Rebuild the drivers…

sudo ./scripts/reTerminal.sh

For the brief moment of time that the unit was working I really liked it, but after hours of burning new images, and trying various things mentioned on this forum I’m seriously regretting spending so much money on a non-functional brick.

Cheers,
John.

Hello @JSP,

It seems that the LCD driver is not loaded. The LCD should correspond to 0x45 address.

Did you ever try to update the STM32 firmware of the LCD and then the above problem happened?

Can I know what operations you performed on the reTerminal after unboxing it, which might potentially lead to the current problem you are facing?

Best Regards,
Lakshantha.

Hi
Updated the driver, and uploaded new image to the unit. All now back working as expected and can now update without breaking the display driver.
Thanks,
John.

@lakshan
I flashed a fresh 64-bit raspberry pi os dated 1-28-2022 uses bullseye

The video is in portrait mode and I don’t see the mouse arrow. Can you tell me what configuration settings I am missing

Thanks

Hello @dq11,

This is a known issue. We are working on finding a fix for it.

A temporary solution would be to use these commands on a terminal window to rotate the display:

DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output DSI-1 --rotate left
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output DSI-1 --rotate right
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output DSI-1 --rotate normal
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output DSI-1 --rotate inverted

However, the screen will come back to the same original state after rebooting.

Until we permanently fix this issue, you could stick with the Raspberry Pi OS Buster for now. We have the latest image here:

Best Regards,
Lakshantha

@lakshan,
I would really like to start with bullseye as the base OS. Any time estimate on when we can expect these fixes to be in place?

Also is there a way to expose the usb3 interface via an hmi add-on?

Thanks for your efforts
Anand

Hello Anand,

It will most probably be fixed within this week. I will feedback to you here once done.

If you want to use USB3.0 interface, the only way is to design an expansion board that can be used on the high-speed interface.

We are planning to release these expansion modules in the future. Maybe you can wait until that.

Thank you.