Last kernel update broke seeed-overlays

Hello, the last kernel update of the rpios broke up the seed-overlays. the issue seem to be connected with the mipi.dsi driver here is what I get from the logs when I try to install the overlay again:

DKMS make.log for mipi_dsi-0.1 for kernel 6.1.19-v8+ (aarch64)
sab 18 mar 2023, 10:55:54, CET
make -C /lib/modules/6.1.19-v8+/build M=/var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build modules
make[1]: ingresso nella directory «/usr/src/linux-headers-6.1.19-v8+»
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build/mipi_dsi_drv.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build/touch_panel.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build/panel-ili9881d.o
/var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build/mipi_dsi_drv.c:436:12: error: initialization of ‘void (*)(struct i2c_client )’ from incompatible pointer type ‘int ()(struct i2c_client *)’ [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
436 | .remove = i2c_md_remove,
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build/mipi_dsi_drv.c:436:12: note: (near initialization for ‘i2c_md_driver.remove’)
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:250: /var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build/mipi_dsi_drv.o] Errore 1
make[2]: *** Attesa per i processi non terminati…
make[1]: *** [Makefile:2012: /var/lib/dkms/mipi_dsi/0.1/build] Errore 2
make[1]: uscita dalla directory «/usr/src/linux-headers-6.1.19-v8+»
make: *** [Makefile:15: all] Errore 2

Any suggestion?

1 Like

https://forum.seeedstudio.com/t/reterminal-drivers-fail-to-install-after-update/269505/2

I don’t have a great suggestion, just wanted to note that I had the exact problem and made a post because I had not seen this one first.

in my case, I will burn in an older image that I made prior to doing this update. A person could get the image from the seeedstudio reTerminal FAQ because they do make a 64-bit one available. One has to avoid doing the dist-upgrade or full-upgrade.

Seeedstudio should change their instructions to the opposite - specifically warn people not to do those big upgrade commands unless they intend to always keep the scripts fully up-to-date. It might be possible to enter commands that would block updates but I don’t know how to do this.

This commit resolved the issue!

I tried this and the basics did work. I am not sure I will stick with this update, however because I have noticed a very big delay or else malfunction with getting either the Wi-Fi connected or the SSH. I used to be able to reboot the thing and get back in via SSH rather quickly. with this update, I either have to wait a very long time … or get tired of waiting and reboot. this could be very specific to my setup but I don’t have a great way to know this. I think it may be better for most people to stick with the downloadable image from Seeedstudio and avoid the full upgrade commands.

and, no problem was solved with this update. : ( I was hoping Kivy would work with this update but it still does not ( but does work on regular Raspberry Pi) and this is off topic anyway.

After applying the commit, it compiled the kernel successfully but LCD screen is still not working and it is now frozen at the boot screen. It is a bit disappointing that I got a brand new reTerminal and on day 1 after installing updates the screen became non-functional. Also, this commit is not in master, not sure why.