J4125 upgrade disk storage

I have an Odyssey J4125 w/ 128gb SSD drive that came with the unit.

The drive is filling up and I need a larger drive.

What would be recommended (cost effective?) - and decent for performance.

I’d like 512gb minimum.

Also - any pointers on how to ‘clone’ my existing instance onto a larger drive - would be greatly appreciated.

A hard drive or SSD (solid-state drive) is the primary storage device of your computer. If a computer is low on storage space and you want to increase the size of the hard disk drive or SSD, there are options available.

Follow these steps to upgrade a hard drive or SSD in your computer.

Upgrade an existing drive.
Replace an existing drive.
Install an additional drive.
Upgrade an existing drive
It may seem the best option is to upgrade the existing drive in the computer. Unfortunately, upgrading a drive is not possible without also purchasing a drive duplicator.

A drive cannot have additional space added to it, making it impossible to upgrade an existing drive. Replacing an existing drive or installing an additional drive are the only options for adding more storage space in a computer.

Replace an existing drive
To add more storage space, you can choose to replace the existing hard drive in the computer. Replacing the drive requires you to do the following.

Purchase a new drive with more storage space than the existing one. We recommend checking the total storage space of the existing hard disk first before purchasing a new drive. Also, check if the existing drive uses IDE or SATA to determine the type of drive needed.
How to find the hard drive type and specifications.
Back up the files on your computer, so you can copy them to the new drive.
How to back up your computer.
Remove the existing drive by taking out the screws and disconnecting the cable.
Install the new drive.
How to install a hard drive or SSD.
Using the computer restore discs, reinstall the operating system and original software that came with the computer. (If you do not have a set of restore discs, you need to contact the computer manufacturer.)
How to install the Microsoft Windows operating system.
Copy the personal files you backed up in step 2 above onto the new drive.
How to copy files from one drive to another drive.
Install an additional drive
The most common option chosen by computer users to add more storage space is to install an additional drive. Doing so does not require the existing drive to be removed, which saves you time. To install an additional drive, do the following.

Determine if the existing drive uses IDE or SATA connections. Your computer must support the type of drive you want to install. Most computers built since 2012 support SATA. Computers older than 2012 may only support IDE.
Purchase the new drive.
Install the new drive.
How to install a hard drive or SSD.
After the new drive has been installed, enter My Computer or File Explorer, to ensure it is being read properly. In this case, it’s the Extra Space (F:) drive.

Regards,
Rachel Gomez

Thanks for the detailed reply.

However I’m looking for very specific advice on what I can upgrade TO on my J4125 computer.

It has a 128gb SSD drive - but I’m not sure what the interface is for that drive?
Do I have a choice for a different type of interface for a drive (e.g.: Sata, and if so what type of SATA)

The current drive is an emmc 128gb ssd drive - but that is where I’m lost? Can I remove that ‘card’ and replace it with an SSD drive - if so - again - what interface?

I have no issues purchasing an SSD drive for this computer - I just need to know what interface options I have and what is recommended?

I’ve looked into the J4125 specs further and it looks like I will be getting an m.2 SSD to upgrade my storage.

My questions then are:

• will the m.2 SSD be bootable - or will I need to remove the 128gb eMMC first? If so - do I need to boot into setup and change my boot options? (how?)
  • can an m.2 nvme SSD be double sided for this J4125 - or does it need to be single sided?