Incomplete steps! Wio Terminal Network overview

I’m following the tutorial steps and am updating RTL8720 firmwave as required here:

The steps end BUT my Wio Terminal is still showing “Burn RTL8720 fw”. The steps go on as if the Wio Terminal is out of this mode. How to end this mode? I tried to power it off, did the double-tap on reset as well, it still shows “Burn RTL8720 fw”.

Ideas? And, shouldn’t you add this step to the tutorial so others don’t get stuck?

I can confirm the above. I tried two Win10 machines, neither would work with download. Worked with no hitch under Ubantu.

Same happens on a Mac.

I did find loading Micropython on the terminal stopped the message but unsure if it’s still waiting for something in the background as Python does not support WiFi / Bluetooth without heading to C…

I think I found the answer. It seems the displayed message is coming from an application that the firmware process puts in the Wio and is running. So the message will persist until a new upload is done to the device. Or so it seems.

Here’s what I did:

(1) I couldn’t get another application to upload right away, not sure if there was something about reset or power down sequencing etc. But at some point I could get another app to upload into the wio.

(2) once I uploaded a new app, no problem. It worked and the wio is up and running. No more firmware message.

The wiki doc really needs to spell this out. It’s not obvious and it caught me by surprise. I succeeded in updating RTL firmware and can run Wi-Fi applications without a problem.

Hi,
Yes you are right. When you drag the downloaded rtl8720_update_v2.uf2 file into the Arduino drive, it will reset the Wio Terminal and load the sketch that is needed to enable the serial communication between RTL8720 and SAMD51.

This serial communication is necessary because we cannot directly communicate with the RTL8720 on the Wio Terminal and therefore we use SAMD51 as a bridge to make that communication possible. So, once the rtl8720_update_v2.uf2 is loaded, the Wio Terminal will behave as if you normally would upload a code and execute using Arduino IDE.

To get out of the “Burn RTL8720 fw”, you simply need to reset the Wio Terminal by following these steps and then just upload any code into Wio Terminal using Arduino IDE, and that code will be executed.

Thank you for the suggestion! I will add this note to the wiki document.

Best Regards,
Lakshantha

1 Like

So, is the process complete after loading the rtl8720_update_v2.uf2 or do you need to run the CLI steps?

I believe the erase and upload steps are both essential to make the firmware update occur, after copying the uf2 file. Both of those additional steps must complete as specified in the instructions. Once those steps are taken, double click the reset button. Then you can and should ignore the fact that the screen still shows “Burn fw mode”. That part only changes once a new sketch is uploaded.

1 Like