Get Lipo rider pro to charge Ipod or Iphone

The original design does not a allow the charging of Apple devices because a voltage divider network between B+ and D+ to ground and from B+ and D- to ground is missing.

Solution:

Solder a 75K resistor to B+ and connect the other end to a 50K resistor that goes to ground or B-
The interconnection goes to D+

Repeat the same with another resistor combination of same values for D-

have fun!
Peter

:slight_smile: Hello,
Thanks for your sharing , that is cool . I will test it , and put it on the wiki as an example .

Deray

Hi Deray

please have a look at the circuit diagramm of the MintyBoost and implement the same resistor network on the USB output for the LipoRider Pro.

A Lipo protection circuit (over discharge, deep discharge, over current) on the PCB would make the LipoRider even better and a top seller :smiley: :smiley:

Regards
Peter

Hi Peter,

I’m about to upgrade a LipoRider Pro board in order to charge an iPhone.

I wanted to clarify what you meant by B+,B-,D+, and D-.

Can you confirm the following?
For B+ and B-, you mean the + and - for the battery voltage i.e. “+BAT” and “-BAT” on the board.
For D+ and D-, you mean the two central connections on the outgoing USB port.

Is that correct? Thanks for your help!

(And I also agree with your suggestion regarding a protection circuit)

Deray - Will this work with a solar panel of this type?
seeedstudio.com/depot/1w-sol … ?cPath=155

To twan :
yes , all the solar panel we are selling can be used with Lipo rider pro .

Deray

Sharing :smiley:
http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/icharge.html

Deray

I’m building one of these to charge my phone while I’m hiking/skiing overnight.

It seems as though Mike & Nancy designed the lipo rider pro with iphone/ipod charging in mind (See Fig. A.) There is no need to solder one resistor to another, just place them to match up with the silk screened lines. So:

R26 = 75K
R25 = 50K
R28 = 75K
R27 = 50K

Will set your device to pull 500mA, whereas:

R26 = 75K
R25 = 50K
R28 = 50K
R27 = 50K

Will let your iDevice pull 1000mA, and charge much faster.

My only piece of constructive feedback for this product would be to upgrade the chip to allow the LiPo battery to charge @ 1000mA (or more) via the mini-USB port, which should really be upgraded to micro-USB (ok, two pieces.) Charging the 6A battery takes ~12 hours, at this point.

Figure A

hey ,that’s so cool. we can find more interesting things , yet?