Forum in Distress: Our Sincere Apology and Measures Taken

Dear Users,

We are deeply grateful for your long-standing support and trust in our forum. We are aware that there have been some improper behaviors on our forum recently, which have caused significant inconvenience to your browsing experience. We sincerely apologize for this.

We take this issue very seriously and have promptly taken appropriate measures. These measures aim to better manage the forum environment and create a clean and orderly communication space for our users.

To maintain the healthy and orderly development of the forum, we have temporarily closed the self-registration channel. New users are required to undergo our verification process before successfully registering. Additionally, we have implemented restrictions on initiating new topic threads, which may affect some users’ ability to create them temporarily.

If you encounter either of these issues, please rest assured that we have prepared the following solutions for you:

1. You can explore the forum and search for popular threads that discuss topics relevant to your current concern. It is possible that you may find answers or solutions there.
  2. If the existing thread content does not address your specific question, you are encouraged to leave a comment within the thread. Our community members and moderators will do their best to assist you.
  3. If the above measures do not resolve your issue, please feel free to seek further assistance by contacting us via email at [email protected]. Our dedicated technical support team will be more than happy to assist you.

At the same time, we would like to express our sincere gratitude to the many friends, led by @PJ_Glasso @cgwaltney , who have provided us with invaluable help and support in this matter. We appreciate your understanding and support.

We will continue to strengthen the management and monitoring of the forum, ensuring that any undesirable information can be effectively addressed in a timely manner. At the same time, we also sincerely invite all users to actively participate in reporting any issues, so that we can work together to maintain our online community.

Once again, we express our heartfelt apologies for the inconvenience caused. We appreciate your understanding and support!

2 Likes

Thank you!.. I think we have been a little grumpy lately… we also will try to do better… I know the time difference between our offices can cause frustration in our “we want it NOW!” culture… Please know that we apreciate the Seeed staff and ecosystem! CWG

2 Likes

Sry guys…
We will committed to upgrading our forum system promptly to prevent such issues from occurring in the future…

Hi there,
Yea, What he said @cgwaltney :point_left: :grinning: I wish I could have done more, and It’s good to see you taking it head on. It’s the sign of the times. We have to lock down all the Good just to keep the BAD at bay.
Stopping the open registration, stopped them in their tracks GOOD MOVE! Just implement some 2 factor AUTH for new registrations , that will make them use Burner Phones to even try that level or that amount of spam they were leaving. ALSo you could contact the Authorities and provide the phone numbers they wanted people to call. Get those BLACK LISTED and the company the spammers are using to pay them will get Blocked and the campaign they are using will be useless.

If you implement an IDS (intrusion Detection System/Software) the process is automatic. If you look in the logs , they stopped for a while as I was changing their thread titles to a spam label, and it revealed that it was indeed an individual, they even taunted me for doing it. but then I hit the edit allowed limit wall and they came back and continued, Notice too they could only use the ID- 3 times and either the system made that happen or there script was a 2nd grader hack job. BUT wow you (seeed) got real lucky because this showed ** if a real HACKER with malicious intent and an urge to steal user data , they were absolutely free to do so, but thank the lord and LOWER education they didn’t know how. WHEW!!! all we could do was standby and watch.
I hope you are looking to encrypt at a minimum the user database and profile info including user names and Passwords.
Working in CERT in Pittsburgh’s Supercomputing center with the Software Engineering institute at Carnegie Mellon, We dealt with this all the time. it’s a first step and a vulnerability was exposed.

DON’t get it F’d UP and Find out as “Snoop DOG” would say get on it and make it happen , whatever changes your planning do not wait , do it ASAP! That whole episode was a warning sign.
I’ve seen this many times before and it is usually a precursor to a attempt to Steal data, even your company data is in reach…if it is on a network server. PERIOD!

If the forum server was so easy , then they will anticipate the rest are as well. If I were Seeed I would do an AUDIT and security check at a minimum. ASAP!

so that’s all I got. Good LUCK and GOD Speed. lets keep this forum tight and secure so the user base can continue to grow and share with each other promoting good products and a Great Company with Very Good People.

GL :slight_smile: PJ
:v:

3 Likes

@cgwaltney @PJ_Glasso Just wanted to let you guys know, please be assured that the user database and personal information are absolutely secure. Also, after disabling registrations for three days, 76 new user registrations have been restricted, which indicates that the attacks are still ongoing. I will initially allow some of them to register, in order to extract typical values for further countermeasures.
:mask:

Hi there,
Very Good :grin: :+1: Glad to hear the data is safe, They will keep trying because they had some success for a short while. Overhaul the way New users can join. That would be a sufficient first step IMO.
GL :slight_smile: PJ