Error while trying to upload sketch data to XIAO-ESP32-C3

Hi,

I’m working with Arduino ide 1.8.19
ESPlibrary version - 2.0.9

I tried to upload sketch data to the device but I got error:
“A fatal error occurred: This chip is ESP32-C3 not ESP32. Wrong --chip argument?”

I Choose XIAO_ESP32C3 as my board and I successfully uploaded my code.

What could be the problem?
How can I solve it?

Hi,

I don’t understand what you are taking issue with.
When we use Seeed Studio XIAO ESP32C3 device, it is correct to choose “XIAO_ESP32C3”.

The issue is that I choose XIAO_ESP32C3 and succeed to upload a program, but not a sketch file to the SPIFFS

We tested XIAO ESP32C3 support for SPIFFS at the same time as we wrote XIAO ESP32S3 about SPIFFS and it was perfect. You can refer to this section of S3 on using SPIFFS to see if this helps you: File System and XIAO ESP32S3 Sense | Seeed Studio Wiki file-system-spiffs

The error message you encountered suggests that there might be an inconsistency between the selected board and the actual chip on your device. The error specifically mentions that the chip is ESP32-C3, not ESP32.

The ESP32-C3 is a different variant of the ESP32 series, and it requires separate board support packages (BSPs) and libraries specifically designed for the ESP32-C3. It appears that you have selected the “XIAO_ESP32C3” board, which indicates compatibility with the ESP32-C3 chip.

To resolve the issue and successfully upload your code, you need to ensure that you have the correct board support package and libraries installed for the ESP32-C3 chip.

Here are some steps you can follow:

1. Board Manager: Open the Arduino IDE and go to “File” → “Preferences” to open the Preferences window.

2. Additional Board Manager URLs: In the “Preferences” window, find the “Additional Boards Manager URLs” field and add the appropriate URL for the ESP32-C3 boards. You can usually find the URL by searching for the specific ESP32-C3 board package you want to install.

3. Board Manager: Go to “Tools” → “Board” → “Boards Manager” to open the Boards Manager.

4. Install the ESP32-C3 Board Package: In the Boards Manager, search for “ESP32-C3” or the specific board package you require. Once you find it, click on it and click the “Install” button to install the board package.

5. Select the Correct Board: After installing the ESP32-C3 board package, go to “Tools” → “Board” and select the appropriate board entry for your ESP32-C3-based device. Ensure you choose the correct board entry that corresponds to your device’s specific variant.

6. Upload Your Sketch: With the correct board selected, try uploading your code again to see if the error is resolved.

By following these steps, you should be able to properly configure the Arduino IDE for the ESP32-C3 chip and upload your sketch without encountering the “wrong --chip argument” error.