DSO Quad engineering sample bug and firmware upgration

Missed the discussion during Chinese New Year~ :slight_smile:

About the license: I would consider myself among open source fans, and Seeed Studio is built for facilitating open hardware. The license idea is not to pullback open source but trying to invite more interesting apps. The designer could surely choose to open source freely as before, while dual-licensing could stimulate the process, as an option.

On the other hand, since the open source works like BenF stimulates DSO Nano sales and providing a much better user experience, Seeed real need to prepare a channel to thank open contributors. It might be converting download counts or direct donation. Check out this post, How do you guys think?

p,s. Please don’t worry about the count down, PM me with your hardware SN, I will generate the activation code.

a bluetooth DSO quad would be the berries (the bandwidth hit would even probably be ok…). What would it take to get a project like that moving?

Hi

A bluetooth DSO with a android app would be so cool with high screen resolution and stuff. Don’t know if the “coolness” is worth the price? Is the bandwidth enough? I guess all data handling and trigging would have to be done in the DSO and android app would just be a display device? Do maybe it wouldn’t be so damn hard to convert a nano or quad to a bluetooth DSO if the screen data is available as a serial stream? Btw, then we would miss all the cool features and lose its point if it would just display exactly the same as a normal nano or quad :frowning:

Btw, can you tell us how many nano you sold or is it a well kept secret? Would be interesting to know :slight_smile: Especially with a discussion about open source contributor feedback in mind.

The front end is already out there…

one example:
android.serverbox.ch/?p=213

or another lower res example:
projectproto.blogspot.com/2010/0 … scope.html

all these being open source makes it fun to tie them together.

Granted I own a DSO nano 2 and am patiently awaiting a DSO Quad, but there is sometime interesting to a solid piece of hardware which could be made display agnostic. Besides who wouldn’t want to have their oscilloscope front end be on a 7" or 10" touch screen…

Cool! The android UI look so sweet, just think of the quality feeling it would give the nano or quad if the native UI looked like that, it would bring the DSO market to the next generation for sure :slight_smile:

This is my first post here. I am eagerly awaiting my quad beta - ETA March.

On the subject of using an external display, I have to say this has some merit. But it’s probably smarter still to walk before running.

What we need is an “Interface Design spec” for two files.
Output file - where parameters which have been sampled go; and
Input file - parameters to control the Quad go.

Initially the files can both be accessed externally using the USB. The external host just needs to be able to access the USB file system, so it could be any garden variety Linux, Mac, or MS based PC. Latter on you could add on bluetooth access to the file system if you want, though this may be a bit more tricky.

both files could be a really simple format CSV, eg:
output:
time, a-value, b-value, c-value, d-value
input:
time-scale, a-scale ,b-scale, c-scale, d-scale, sample-rate, etc

These files are very simple because at least in principle the host is doing all the hard work to display the data, and the quad just needs to write the nearly raw output from the A/Ds. Obviously the file formats will need to be adjusted when doing signal generation.

The output is continually written to by the quad during normal operation and read continually by the host. Input is normally written by the host when the user selects a new scale or whatever. The quad could poll the input file or more efficiently - just read it when the saved date/time changes.

As file accesses is handled on the host by the host OS, the quad application (running on the host) is really just a gui for displaying the data and controlling how it is displayed. Potentially it could be written as a Java application which can run on anything.

The only issue is that this approach has already been done. Just google “digital oscilloscope computer”, but not at a price that competes with the quad. It least if the quad approach is kept open source.

I have the original LCD scope and have ordered the Quad beta.

Given the fantastic new speed of both the ADC and the CPU, it seems realistic to think about a spectrum analyzer as well as a scope. Codespace might require that only one or the other be loaded, but this could easily give you a 36 MHz spectrum analyzer using direct sampling and no other hardware.

Leigh/WA5ZNU

Hi

Any news about the development, latest FW etc. ?

A week ago, we had some news on the blog: http://www.seeedstudio.com/blog/2011/03/08/dso-quad-shipping-delay-notification/
But no update till now… and it’s a long time for people waiting. :wink:

Back Panel Arrived… Assembly still on going. Sorry for the delay!
调整大小 backpanel.jpg

Hey, just keep us in the loop, and we will be happy. I also want a good product, so take your time, and get it right :slight_smile:

David

ok ! keep us informed ! how many orders do you have ? is it more that 300 ?

Assembly arrived, test and packing under process!

Super ! How long will it take to start shiping ? 1 week ? :question:

I have been workin on a PC clent to work woth the Quad, but as Benf pointed out it is not going to be easy to squeeze all that information into the paultry 2 meg of disk space the quad has. I was thinking about perhaps a binary file. Not so easy on the eye but more compact.

You can track and DL my clent here

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1772&start=40

as you can see i am planning on at some time using it with 4 inputs and have already coded the waveform viewer and I2C and UART decoders.

All i need now is my Quad to arrive and someone to code up the export

Cheers Pete.

You may want to preview the following video to more quickly use the Quad upon it’s arrival.

youtube.com/watch?v=Qk_3QGTUsF8

Today I appear to have broken my Quad (engineering version HW v2.2) while installing the newer firmware. I think that the FPGA update got me because that update reports completed now that the Quad never completes boot-up (had to video the start-up screen and then frame step the video to find that very quick flash message “FPGA Update Successful”). With the previous versions you could always hold the right arrow key and power up to USB drive only, to revert back to previous software. After this problem, that USB drive only feature no longer works. So now that I am unable to access the USB drive, I am also unable to restore back to the previous version because I can’t change the files on the USB drive. :astonished:

you means you can not access to the USB disk only feature after updated the FPGA ? would you pls sent me a email to descrip the detail with some pictures ? thanks …

Yeah I got mine finally it is working and looks like a great start. The usb disk for updating is a lose for me because it does not work with Linux or Mac os which are all I have easy to use. From what I can see it should not be hard to fix it, but this needs to be fixed. Is there an open source source pool for building this with gcc available? Two days of using this with the current UI and I am getting ready to change some things. There is much that needs to be done.

Hi

We too have a lot of trouble updating the F/W.
When we tried to copy the file, 1 by 1, to the USB disk, it sometimes would not reset. We had to delete that erroneous file and recopying it multiple time.