DSO Quad engineering sample bug and firmware upgration

Current bug list:

1. Silkscreen swapped between Channel A and Waveout. -fixed
  2. Measurement voltage from 0.2~10V/Div. - Pending for a opt-coupler for smaller scale. [edited]
  3. WAVE out bandwidth not enough – upper limit 100Khz
  4. Sound and back light switch – to be added.
  5. Cursor moving too slow – will be adjusted
  6. Back plate too loose – fixed in mold
  7. Spike on 1us scale – fixing PCB
  8. Power off charge indicator LED – added

Upgrating to latest firmware APP will fix most of the software issues. please post your findings, we will keep trimming this list. Thanks!

User applications

DSO Quad has included a license system to host 3rd party software development, providing more flexibility over open source.

License No: Developer ID + Project ID + Device SN, via generator

Developer ID: 8 Hex SN: xxxxxxxx, developer decide or assigned
Project ID: 8 Hex SN: xxxxxxxx, developer decide and keep as the project key, each developer can have multiple projects.
Device SN: Device unique 8 Hex SN

Engineer published free application could register as a developer and get the generator, decide the way distributing their application.

Connecting DSO Quad via mini USB cable to PC, you will see a USB disk added.

1. copy newest file into it
  2. Power up DSO Quad pressing “►||”
  3. Wait until indication of " firmware upgrade finish"

FPGA file: xxxx_FPGA.BIN
Logo file: xxxx_logo.INF. Create any 16 color 64*256 .BMP file of size 46.9KB, change the name to .INF.
System file: xxxx_SYS.hex
Application file: xxxx_APP.hex

Please remember delete used upgrade file to avoid confusion.

Latest engineering firmware: firmware.rar (35.7 KB)
file.png

FILE000.jpg

Saving Waveform
Copy below file template to DSO Quad usb disk, and choose save file on the bottom menu to capture whole screen into BMP file.
file template.rar (33.2 KB)

Calibration APP
Press “S” to select item, press “<…>” to choose corresponding scale, press “-…+” to adjust.

OFFSET: ground the probe, and adjust the number in the table to +0.00, press “M” to save.
Voltage: connect the probe to an adjustable power supply, change the power supply output to 2~4 times of the denoted voltage. Adjust via “-…+” to match the real value.

Note: The calibration APP is default running as APP2, use by press “S” while powering up.

Download here: 0106_CALIBRAT_APP2.rar (9.42 KB)

Hi

I post my comments here, thought it wasn’t necessary to bump the other thread again when we have this about the DSO Quad, the main category is still the nano.

I got my sample today, thanks!

First, the plastic isn’t a perfect fit (neither front or back), draws the impression down a bit but you already write that you have made corrections to the mold. Next, I had some trouble connecting the battery, the connector just didn’t want to slide over the pins for some reason, after a few minutes of struggling it finally snapped in place.

Now turning it on for the first time, the first thing I notice is that the screen view angle isn’t the best, the eyes is a bit too far away from each other when viewing the wide screen so the backlight shines trough very different for each eye making it a bit hard too get the eyes comfortably focused on the screen. Holding the device standing up like a mobile phone in hand makes it clear that the screen was probably made to be viewed that way on a mobile phone or something.

Then comes the most tricky part, navigating, I still havn’t figured all out yet (20 mins of play). The firmware is even more illogical then the first DSO nano versions. And I really think the interface could be navigated with only one left/right switch but I may change. The old DSO nano with BenF’s firmware can very easily be used in complete dark with only a minute or two of traning. You won’t do that with the quad, thats for sure :frowning:

And then you got the SINGL (DSO nano “SING”) wrong this time again. It will capture one buffer right ofter you press the key and stop directly after that even if no trigging occurred.

With this many settings to play with I think you must add some kind of profile support so you can save all the settings if you use it frequently in the same application.

I will write more but that is all for tonight. In short the quad is 4 steps forward in hardware and 3 steps back in firmware. A really interesting thing would be how compatible the hardware in the quad would be with the old nano? Could BenF’s firmware be loaded on this too and detect the hardware and adapt to it and make the extra channels and features visible? Would be best if it could be maintained in one code base and not forked I think if they are not to far from each other. I guess the screen resolution is a hard thing to cope with, I guess it’s 480×240 so it’s wider but not higher.

BTW I really like the buffer display at the bottom, if I just could figure it out how to scroll it, the best I have managed is the white box jumping back and forth a few pixels without the screen moving, don’t ask how I did that :wink:

Btw, what dows the M and F buttons do? S is for select I guessed.

The software part is still “terrible”… Most of the time are spending on hardware debugging and manufacturing, especially when we want to put the analog part into such small enclosure while maintaining its cost.

BenF’s firmware can’t be implemented directly since the hardware structure changes, we will prepare and publish the source file soon for user applications.

In current firmware, M is to memorize settings (while the cursor is on trigger menu) and F button is to save file under file menu.

Sorry for the inconvenience so far! We will consolidate the options and bring quad up straight:)

Nothing to feel sorry about, I’ve paid nothing so I can demand nothing :laughing:

How can I select less then 0,2V/div? And you have to adjust the speed of moving things on the Y axis so the longer you press the faster it moves (acceleration) or someone will have a nervous breakdown :wink:

Also you can’t add a half a dollar more on those red and black hooking grip connectors? Mine broke directly, not so badly but by connecting it to the hook on the probe was bent enough so it will not retract fully again. These makes the product look stupidly cheap, they are simply not in the same division as the rest of the kit.

Got mine tonight… Thanks a lot I am ashamed to admit to being quite excited!

Cool calm collected head back on, some impressions.

Like dnordenberg I initially struggled with the interface for a few minutes. But once I got my head around the fact that most of the buttons are not used most of the time, the penny dropped for me. I would not describe it as terrible, the operation is fairly consistent. I really like the ability to select the stats you wish displayed down the right hand side of the menu. Moving trigger values is slow as noted in the OP.

Triggers. The Singl trigger just as dnordenberg said is not operating as I would expect, it just loads the first frame of the buffer as far as I can tell. Not only that, playing with the test signal from the device, some of the other triggers don’t perform just the way I would expect them to. I have not quite narrowed down what is wrong and under what trigger conditions things are not right. Triggering on the rise and fall of the signal seems fine though for repeated patterns

Signal Generator. The square wave signal is fine, but the sine, triangle and saw waves are pretty mangled the resolutionof them seems ultra low… I guess that is what you mean by the wave out bandwith being 100khz

Saving Signals: How do I save to cvs or dat? I take it I will need to save to dat before I can load a signal into the scope? Saving is not intuitive, but with instructions it is easy enough to learn.

Updating firmware: I like the update method, seems pretty easy to operate, not sure if it worked for me… My welcome screen reads…

Hardware Ver2.2 Serial No: FC45C879
DS203 Mini DSO SYS Ver 1.02
DS203 Mini DSO APP Ver 2.01
Enhance Hardware Version

The file naming on the firmware I downloaded is 0106_APP.hex and 1229_SYS.hex. There was no change after doing the “update”, I am guessing that this would mean that my firmware was up to date? A suggestion for the bootloader… Can you make it report back its progress something like “updated from SYS 1.00 to 1.02” more useful feedback to the user though only a small point.

Screen. I have to disagree with dnordenberg, Ok the there are better screens around, but the screen is readable at most viewing angles that I am likely to use the scope at. I have a couple of your aluminium stands and I would say that a stand is going to be a good idea for most users…

Plastics. My rear cover fits on pretty well. panel fit is reasonable. I would not have noticed anything untoward with it if I had not read comments about there being issues. For the price of the scope I would describe the finish as being merchantable… Would love to see a polished or brushed aluminium version “rugged” version.

I am going to write up a review of the scope… but I will make it clear of course that the mosel I am using is an engineering sample. Looking forward to see how this product improves. The quad is looking like a solid scope…

Questions…

What is the name of those connectors for the probes. I will want to make more probe sets…

Can all four channels be used simultaneously? (I guess so but I would want to find out

Can the analogue channels operate as logic probes via software?

Will these problems be fixed in the beta-test batch? I’m not bothered about firmware issues - they can always be addressed later, but the input voltage limit will be a problem for me.
(I don’t want to buy something that could get fried measuring 15-30v signals. I’d rather wait and pay a bit more for the production run.)

Thanks for reminding me, it was too long between ESP’s post and the date I got my quad :wink:
I think he means per div? So 15-30V shouldn’t be a problem but any low voltage measurement is imposible.

Scales less than 0.2V/Div will be enabled in software when the opto-coupler is ready. For engineering batch, the quad can only use 0.2V/Div to 10V/div.

Thanks for pointing out, I have updated the bug list to avoid confusion. Thanks!

1. Measurement voltage from 0.2~10V/Div. - Pending for a opt-coupler for smaller scale. [edited]

The problems will be fixed for beta batch. Thanks!

Just got mine … thanks a lot for arranging to send out samples!

It is indeed an impressive piece of hardware with a lot of punch in a small package. First impression with build quality is good and the fit of the enclosing frames didn’t really strike me as being off.

I like the firmware upgrade direct from the USB attached disk. This will make upgrading a lot easier for everybody and I wish we could offer the same to Nano users. Operating the Quad will obviously require some time getting used to and I’m not there yet.

At first I didn’t find the power button and expected some long press of play or similar would power it on, but then found the empty hole where I expect a sliding switch should have been. Is this to be expected for the engineering samples or is the missing slider perhaps unique to my sample?

I have a slider there. Maybe the samples are different?

Indeed the quad is impressive. I was pointing out quite small problems with the plastic case and screen. If it wasn’t a engineering sample I wouldn’t have said anything about it.

ESP will we be able to update our hardware with some soldering once the schematics is finished? Maybe we can order the pieces needed from you if they are hard to find?

justblair.co.uk/Oscilloscope … eview.html

youtube.com/user/justblairth … CPNe_9GS3I

Mostly all positive! Tell me what you think?

Blair

More up to date firmware files available…

minidso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5

I found this forum that has firmware updates beyond what has been posted here. Unfortunately google translate wont help me but the files are obviously placed

I now have volume control and backlight control.

Still struggling to save and load the waveform in dat format. Now said OK instead of error, but the waveform does not appear on the screen

using 0106_sys and 0115_APP

OK… I got DAT files to save and load…

This is the firmware I am using, (gives you volume control and Backlight control)
firmware.zip (36.8 KB)

Load these DAT files into your Quad via USB
FileXXX_DAT.zip (3.53 KB)

Then use the save file menu item to save into the file number you wish (if you want more than 9 then just copy and rename the files)

When you load the waveform via the same menu, you can only view one of the waveforms at a time. To do so navigate to the green channel and cycle through its options till it reports “FILE_1 to FILE_4” These correspond to the saved channels in the DAT file

Been following the development on the miniDSO forum and today I noticed a new firmware revision…

0118_firmware.zip (55.7 KB)

To install I found that I had to install the Bin, Sys and App files seperately, adding them to the Quad storage and removing them after each time. All three files included in the above zip are required otherwise you get an error!

I have given it a try,

Improvements that are obvious…

• The Sawtooth, Sine, and Triangle waves now create recognisable waveforms…
  • Holding down the S key when switching the Quad on will now take you into a calibration mode.
  • Volume control works (introduced in previous update)
  • Backlight control works (introduced in previous update)

Removed:

• The non-working option to save as CSV has been removed from the UI.

Translated from the forum:

I see from the blog you have overclocked the DSO Quad. Is this done in the software or is a hardware thing?

I am still awaiting mine. Maybe something went wrong.

Send a PM to ESP and ask for the tracking number.