Android x86 distro / ODYSSEY X86J4105864 / 4G Modem Capability

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a PCIe 4G Modem that can be plugged in to the X86J4105864 that will work with an Android X86 custom distro so that it will behave as a mobile phone?

And also, recommend an Android x86 distro to go with the modem?

Kind regards!

We are in the process of screening vendors for 4G modules and expect to start selling them in May. @Xamtastic

1 Like

Thanks! I look forward to testing 4G LTE, and will also look for updates in the next few months in regards to low/high band 5G also which will support my target applications requirements. Learning from 4G LTE T-Mobile USA first will ne key, but will be trying to identify in due time a 5G T-Mobile USA tx/rx higher throughput mechanism.

This is a great product, and look forward to it qualifying for personal acquisition and subsequent testing :slight_smile:

Congrats on a great board spec, and at a decent price/value point. Keep up the excellent engineering!

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll order the Odyssey now in that hope!

How about something like this. It seems to have very good specs https://www.gemalto.com/iot/iot-connectivity/products/iot-modems/mv31-w

We haven’t tested it. Has anyone tested it? The results can be shared.

The PCIe 4G modems are on our Bazaar now, please check it out~

Any update yet? We want to field test our product.

@Xamtastic We will release this section of documentation shortly

1 Like

Hey, you didn’t tell us when the 4G modems arrived, now they are out of stock …

https://www.seeedstudio.com/4G-Module-c-1553.html

Do you know how long it will be before they are back in stock?

https://www.seeedstudio.com/Quectel-EM06-A-LTE-Cat6-Module-p-4565.html @Xamtastic

1 Like

Thank you.

Do you know about Quectel EM05-E LTE Cat 4 M.2 Module - ODYSSEY X86J4105 Compatible or Quectel EM06-E LTE Cat 6 M.2 Module - ODYSSEY X86J4105

I’ve ordered three of the ones you recommend, but being “-A” and not “-E”, they are designed for the Americas and not Europe, fingers crossed I can use the temporary ones until the others are available because only one network in the UK (EE) is capable of using the “-A” ones (as far as I can see from the spec sheet, Band 7).

Anyone in the UK following this thread should be interested in the difference between the EM05-X and EM06-X models, the ‘05’ ones are LTE, and the ‘06’ ones are LTE-A, and it’s very difficult in the UK to find out which networks have LTE-A coverage (aka 4G+), where LTE (4G) is easy to find coverage charts for.

However my cursory reading of the LTE-A spec is that it is backwards compatible with LTE, so should work with any UK operator at LTE speeds. It would seem that to get LTE-A speeds (double the downlink) that in the UK, only EE is available for use.

Also, if anyone else has any better info on the extent that the “-A” models can be used in the UK instead of the “-E” models, please drop a comment in.

Thanks Baozhu for all your help, you’ve been splendid.

Where are the antenna’s for this modem? I bought EM06-A and it finally arrived but no antenna’s so it’s still useless to me

My three EM06-A arrived just today - like you, no antennas … this is curious and requires a little investigation!

@Baozhu

What antennas are we supposed to use with the EM06-A modems, they were delivered without any?

The boards have three miniature antenna connectors labelled M, G, D, so the question is:

Main - what antenna or antennas are recommended for the Main antenna connection?
GNSS - what antenna or antennas are recommended for the GNSS antenna connection?
Diversity - what antenna or antennas are recommended for the Diversity antenna connection?

Also, do you have a spec sheet from Quectel that explains these antenna connections?

Without this information, this product is essentially dead-in-the-water.

ALSO:

Are the antenna recommendations you give suitable for the EM06-E and EM05-E modules, I also bought three EM05-E modules.

Kind regards!

Hi @Xamtastic @snotwistr

We are currently getting contacted with our supplier and will update the status with the Antennas very soon. Sorry for any inconveniences caused.

Best Regards,

Anson

1 Like

I used this type of antenna, but any 4G antenna with MHF4 connector can be used.

For checking basic connectivity only one antenna is necessary on MAIN connector, but 4G modem use MIMO (multiple input multiple output) so 2 antennas are required for best performance.
Please note that on 3G modem a second antenna is not strictly necessary but helps to avoid multipath interference signal cancellation.

The 2 antenna must be of the same type.
For GNSS use there are specific antenna with the same MHF4 connector.

Please can you kindly verify if the onboard LANs will be disabled if you put the 4G module on Odissey? I have this big problem without solution for now.
see:

Thanks

2 Likes

Thanks @Salvathor, great tip, after a brief search I ordered these, I’ll see how they perform, thanks!

Kind regards!

1 Like

hello Baozhu
i need to get data on all mounting holes and data on all outlets that are on ODYSSEY - X86J4105864 to be able to make an installation box. i wish cad file with all dimensions exposed

in the link you sent to fotum. is no link any modem type