A client for BenF's DSO Nano XML

Is there already a desktop client that’s able to understand BenF’s XML waveform format? If so, where? If not, I’m thinking of making one in .NET. I’ll probably just do it on Google Code unless anyone has a better idea for a free SVN repository.

Well, I’ve started it. So far it’s able to load the sample XML provided in the documentation, save to XML, bind to a form, and save to Matlab (incomplete).

code.google.com/p/benfwaves/

You may want to collaborate with the author of this post:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1871

Perfect, thanks for the link.

Hi Folks,

Just found this after looking around the forums.

I have taken some of the suggestions and implemented them into the latest version. You can now save and load your current settings to a configuration file and save the screen to a bitmap from the file menu.

MainScreen.gif

Source attached.

Cheers Pete
DSONanoQuadExportFileReader.zip (396 KB)

The “DSONanoQuadExportFileReader” is a cool idea, but I think I’ll continue to develop BenfWaves for the time being. It’s in C#, it’s source-controlled and has a repository and revision history both visible on the internet, it’s reasonably well-documented, it automatically generates API documentation with Doxygen, uses annotated-class System.Xml.Serialization, uses sane Windows Forms binding, can support multiple open documents using MDI, and is built with expandability in mind. I’ll continue to add conversion formats, and eventually I’ll work on adding a waveform viewer, perhaps integrating gnuplot or some other open-source graphing library so that it can be anti-aliased and easily navigable. I’d love to get together some beta testers to start marking down bugs and feature requests, but that isn’t really urgent.

OK No Problems, I’m sure we will have an exchange of ideas at some point. I am a seasoned .net developer with about 10 years under the hood on .net and a lot more before then. If I can offer you any help just drop me an email to PeterB@edsm.co.uk

Cheers Pete.

I’ve added some screenies to the Google Code wiki:

code.google.com/p/benfwaves/wiki/Screenshots

I also added new binaries in the downloads section targeting both .NET3.5 and .NET4.0.

New screenies and downloads. This time, it (should) support Microsoft Excel export, though to do that it has to be an x86 build.

Hi I have just started a google OS code project where i will be putting update and instructions on how to install and run the application. This looks like it could turn out to be an excelent thread

http://code.google.com/p/dso-xml-data-reader/

Cheers Pete

I just tried the binary 3/24/2011 @ 4:03pm and it generates an error “has encountered a problem”. I had Benfwaves.Library.dll in the same folder as the exe. Does the .dll need to be in a special location? I am using winxp sp3, and have net3.5 and net4.0 installed. My download was for net 3.5.

I seem to be missing something.

To remain consistent with both the DSO Quad and DSO Nano, the vertical scale should have 8 divisions.

It would also be helpful to include a version number on the screen and in the filenames.

Another suggestion would be to preconfigure the application with the T/Div and V/Div of the loaded XML file.

I can’t seem to load the attached XML file and I don’t know why.

Thanks
fb21ign.zip (13.2 KB)

I’m sorry about that. I forgot to add a conditional block around a statement that was loading test data, and you didn’t have the test data. I’ve uploaded new binaries that (a) should work, and (b) if they crash, should generate a log.

New downloads and screenies up. The most recent version has much cleaner Matlab/Gnuplot support, and added information about vertical resolution/sensitivity, input resistance, etc. thanks to BenF’s advice.

I don’t know about the other client, but there was an error in mine that I just fixed - it wasn’t properly parsing the trigger level string, but now it’s fine. The fix will be in the next binary.

Binaries for rev 72 are up at code.google.com/p/benfwaves/ . Changes since rev 57:

• Fixed an important bug where negative values weren’t being correctly parsed
  • Compatibility with pre-v3.61 XML
  • Trigger sensitivity fix
  • Added build information to binaries
  • Added a sweet Python binary commit script
  • Lots of other minor improvements and fixes

Hello Folks,

Sorry for the delay but I have had work commitments that I had to complete before getting back to my hobby project.

Ok so here we have the first beta release of the DSO nano XML export file reader. This version features the following.

• XML import

• Trace reproduction with the ability to set the time and signal levels.

• Scroll through the sample

• Zoom to Max/Min signal values and zoom to trigger point.

• Signal offset

• Trigger level marker

• Export to CSV, TSV, Excel, Matlab

• Ability to save screen view as screen sot to file

• Ability to save and load configuration settings including last loaded file

• Auto time and level scaling according to the XML profile parameters

• FFT signal representation for both LOG and amplitude

• Ability to select trace colours for both time and frequency representation of data

• Splash Screen on start up

• About screen with version number

For future proofing when the QUAD comes on line and an XML export is available for that I have also started on a logic analyser that will decode UART and I2C signals.

Screen shots show what it looks like and a ZIP of the EXE is also here for download.

Any suggestions on design or functionality welcome.

Cheers Pete

MainScreen.gif

LogicAnalyser.gif
DSONanoXMLExportFileReader.zip (127 KB)

When I try to save to Gnuplot, I get the attached error.
Bad.jpg

Oops . I was scarfing in some last minute changes and it looks like if killed something.

I will get onto this tomorow and re post when fiexd …

thanks for testing … Cheers Pete.

Thanks to quick testing by reinderien he identified a problem with the file exports. I have now fixed this and increased the version number to 1.0.0.1

I do not have access to the GNUplot or MATlab applications and so cannot actually test that the exports work. I have used templates that I have had to try and emulate the export format. If anyone can point me to where I can get (free) copies of these applications for testing then I would be most grateful.

New version attached. V 1.0.0.1

Cheers Pete.
DSONanoXMLExportFileReader.zip (127 KB)