lcd 1602 bus doesn't work with example

#include <LiquidCrystal.h> // include a library headfile // LiquidCrystal display with: // rs on pin 10 // rw on pin 11 // enable on pin 12 // d4, d5, d6, d7 on pins 13, 14, 15, 16 LiquidCrystal lcd(10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16); void setup() { lcd.clear();//clears the LCD and positions the cursor in the upper-left corner lcd.print("hello, world!");// Print a message to the LCD. lcd.setCursor(2,1); // set to the 3th column and 2nd row lcd.print("Seeedstudio");// Print a message to the LCD. } void loop() { }

I’ve tried downloading a seeduino modified seeduino LiquidCrystal library but not working either pls help! :frowning:

you also need to delete ‘applet’ directory if you have been used the original library.
Or direct delete the default LiquidCrystal library and put our LiquidCrystal library in Arduino-0018 libraries.

I was also unable to run the example (Arduino-0018 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard). I downloaded the modified LCD library:

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/images/product/LiquidCrystal.rar

I renamed & zipped the original Arduino library, installed the modified library in /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries, and compiled the example from Electronic Brick v1.1 manual:

[code]#include <LiquidCrystal.h> // include a library headfile
// LiquidCrystal display with:
// rs on pin 10
// rw on pin 11
// enable on pin 12
// d4, d5, d6, d7 on pins 13, 14, 15, 16
LiquidCrystal lcd(10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16);

void setup()
{
lcd.clear();//clears the LCD and positions the cursor in the upper-left corner
lcd.print(“hello, world!”);// Print a message to the LCD.
lcd.setCursor(2,1); // set to the 3th column and 2nd row
lcd.print(“Seeedstudio”);// Print a message to the LCD.
}

void loop()
{
}
[/code]

My ribbon cable is connected between BUS2 and the LCD. It illuminates with the first line consisting of (16) 5x8 pixel blocks and the second line is blank. The example code for the modified library produces the same result.

What am I doing incorrectly?

Rx

Still doesn’t work, please help more! :unamused:

I deleted the applet directory as well as install your version of LCD lib.

The lcd is classed as “mission critical” in my case, I cannot emphasise how much I need it to function!

Regards I’ve attached my liquid cristal library can you check it out?

I’m a complete noob to the seeduino board but :smiley: , I’ve made some Diecimilia sketches though :sunglasses: .
LiquidCrystal.rar (6.63 KB)

Please help upload your working version plz.!

I had the same problem with Arduino 0018 on Mac OS X 10.6.4, Arduino LiquidCrystal library, Seeeduino Mega board, Electronic Brick Starter kit shield (using BUS2), and the LCD. I was able to work around it by using BUS1 and changing my program as follows:

[code]#include <LiquidCrystal.h> // include a library headfile
// LiquidCrystal display with:
// rs on pin 2
// rw on pin 3
// enable on pin 4
// d4, d5, d6, d7 on pins 5, 6, 7, 8
LiquidCrystal lcd(2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8);

void setup()
{
lcd.begin(16, 2);
lcd.clear();//clears the LCD and positions the cursor in the upper-left corner
lcd.print(“hello, world!”);// Print a message to the LCD.
lcd.setCursor(2,1); // set to the 3th column and 2nd row
lcd.print(“Seeedstudio”);// Print a message to the LCD.
}

void loop()
{
}[/code]
I’m not sure why BUS2 does not work…maybe it has to do with pin 13 functioning differently on the Mega v. older MCUs?

Rx

Hi,
I had same problem with “inverted space” in first line and text not showing up. I use Arduino Uno board with brick shield and LCD 1602 of the brick starter kit. Win XP and Arduino 0022. The problem is, that the example in the in the Seeedstudio documention
seeedstudio.com/depot/images … Vol1.1.pdf
is wrong. The statement lcd.begin(16, 2) is missing and lcd.setCursor() was used wrongly, because numbering starts with 0 as it is the case most often in computer science.
How can we get managed to have the documentation changed, so it’ll be easier for the people following us?

[code]
#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

// BUS2

void setup() {
lcd.begin(16, 2);
lcd.clear(); // clear and cursor in upper left corner
lcd.setCursor(0, 0);
lcd.print(“Hello, World”);
lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
lcd.print(“Hello, me”);
}

void loop() {
}[/code]

thanks for pointing out this!

A newbie observation to this would be that there is no D14 to D16 obviously for a normal Arduino (a normal shield respectively). See also in the attached pic ( from link seeedstudio.com/depot/images/product/BUS.jpg).

So how do you translate in code that you need to communicate with D10, D11, D12, D13 and A0, A1, A2, A3 respectively instead of D10 to D16?

So instead of …

you would have what?

Thank you!!
BUS.jpg