XIAO ESP32 identified by Arduino IDE as DFRobot Beetle

XIAO_ESP32S3, ESP32C3 and ESP32S3 sense all show board info of:
DFRobot Beetle ESP32-C3
VID: 0x303A
PID 0x1001
SN: (null)

using Arduino IDE 2.1.1, and rev 2.0.9 of the esp32 board manager.

Probably related, if I start the Arduino IDE with the XIAO installed, I get an error message of "Error communication with the language server. Error: write EOF: undefined.

I can then change the board type to XIAO_ESP32S3 (or C3) and upload ok, but if I open a new sketch or reset the board, the board type associated with that com port changes back to the DFRobot Beetle. On the C3 that includes when I reset the XIAO_ESP32C3

yes i have noticed this too
i think it has to do with windows
it seems it is important to have Arduino IDE open and set to the correct board before connecting to USB
for the VERY FIRST TIME whatever name it takes on at that time seems to be fixed into the windows operating system… i have tried deleting the com port and it doesnt seem to help

i am inter4ested to see if anyone else has found a solution to this

Regards

Just loaded Arduino IDE on a Mac. Behavior is different. When I do a get board info on the Mac I get
ESP32-S3 Dev Module
PID 0x1001
SN: 43:85:…

vs on my PC I get:

DFRobot Beetle ESP32-C3
PID 0x1001
SN: (null)

Also resetting the board doesn’t revert to DFRobot.

So I don’t know if it is a Windows specific issue or something not quite right in my Arduino IDE installation on my Windows machine. The Mac was a fresh install with only the ESP32 boards added. (but it does have the DFRobot Beetle).

I tried removing then reinstalling the Arduino IDE. I was hoping to get a clean installation, see if the XIAO board was recognized then add in the ESP boards in the board manager. Two unexpected results.

First the reinstalled IDE had all the boards installed, and when I looked at the preferences the additional board manager URLs were the ones from my original installation.

Second the XIAO is now recognized as a Deneyap Kart G.

Yes, XIAOesp32c3 is not officially released by Arduino, so XIAOesp32 cannot be correctly recognized by arduino ide, so it needs to be manually set to the correct development board (XIAO-ESP32C3) though the arduino ide recognizes it as another board :joy: :smiley:

I’ve tried all the suggestions, but I still haven’t been successful in resolving this problem… Any other suggestions?

Because the official ESP32 onboard package does not have the capability to recognize the script of the connected development board, it is an expected behavior for ESP series development boards to be recognized as other boards when connected to a computer. If you want to use the XIAO ESP32C3 or XIAO ESP32S3 correctly, you need to manually select the appropriate development board model.

this happens, its a real thing…