XIAO board overheating

Hello, I recently purchased a XIAO ESP32C3 board, and I noticed it got warm pretty quickly after being plugged in. I am running Micropython on it currently, and wonder if it is safe to keep it plugged in for long periods of time for my project, in case it overheats. thank you for any help!

Hi there,
Strange , Shouldn’t get so hot you notice, Check the Can for solder bridges or shorts, What’s the current draw? I have one of these little USB meters for a quick look

HTH
GL :slight_smile: PJ

1 Like

Are you powering up the XIAO with an external power supply? If yes, please check the power supply. Follow all the instructions given by PJ_Glasso.

Once this problem is solved, you can do some high-end projects with the XIAO like this

i don’t have one of those usb sticks, should i purchase one? i am not using an external power supply. if i am understanding that correctly that would be a battery hooked up to the back of it. i had i run an infinite loop in micropython running pass the whole time, and it didn’t get really hot just a little warm, then i ran Blynk on it for a couple of minutes and it didn’t get too hot. before when i said hot, i felt like i could just barely keep my finders on it without having to take them off. also, i was hooking an led straight up to D10 and GND without a resistor, could that have been bad for it and made it hot? also, when you say check the can for sodder bridges and shorts what does that mean exactly?

i’ve had it plugged in for 10 minutes without the led and it seems like it is a normal temperature, not getting any hotter.

Hi there,
Yea, the Direct connection of the LED is NOT recommended.(none of the examples) on the WiKi show that either, Always use a resister even a 150 ohm, I prefer 220 ohm, but that’s just me.
Definitely will hurt the Chip if you have this for a prolonged period…
HTH
GL :slight_smile: PJ

Thank you all! i think that was the problem!