XIAO BLE Sense in deep sleep mode

Here is a rough demo program that draws approx 1uA when idle.
Seeed XIAO nRF52840 (not sense).
LEDs a turned on after a couple of push button switches are polled in Setup after switch interrupts.
Program needs an expert to comment and tidy up.

1 Like

Hi !
Thank you for your advice.
My project uses a bare nRF52840 chip (there is no spi flash on the board and there is no microphone and there is no sense module).
But the current in sleep mode is still 8 µA.

Here are a couple my of tests and current results following NRF52 simple code for shutdown:

// Basic_Shutdown_20230522_01.ino
// 3.2 volts on 3V3 to GND
// current 21.2 uA during Delay
// current 18.0 uA after Delay
//
void setup()
{
delay(10000);
NRF_POWER->SYSTEMOFF = 1;
}
void loop()
{
}

// Basic_Shutdown_20230522_02.ino
// 3.2 volts on 3V3 to GND
// current 4.4 uA during Delay.
// Current 1.1 uA after Delay
//
#include <bluefruit.h>
#include <Adafruit_FlashTransport.h>
//
void setup()
{
//
Adafruit_FlashTransport_QSPI flashTransport;
Bluefruit.begin();
flashTransport.begin();
flashTransport.runCommand(0xB9);
flashTransport.end();
//
delay(10000);
NRF_POWER->SYSTEMOFF = 1;
}
void loop()
{
}

1 Like

Thank you very much!
I 'll check it tonight !

AdamM68, Gordy7 !

Thank you very much for your help !
Everything worked out, the current is less than 1 µA!

When I run this, I get 733.77uA during the delay and 731.69uA After. Any Idea what I might be missing? Nothing else is attached.

I am not familiar with the Data Logger you are using.
I used a DMM on the uA range connected between the 3.2v battery and the 3V3 terminal on the XIAO nRF.
I was careful to make sure that the USB connection to the XIAO was removed.

Some questions regarding your set up but not sure if these will help:

1. You have applied 4.097V but Gordy7 only applied 3.2V
  2. Gordy7 applied the voltage across 3V3 and GND pins

The Xiao board can only accept voltage > 3.6V at the battery pins, if you apply 4.097V at 3V3 pin you will be stressing your board.

1 Like

Has anyone checked this issue ? :

• how do You connect xiao for making measurements ?
    Maybe there is an issue when You power the xiao board via different paths
    1: USB port with 5v
    2: battery port with 3,6 - 4,2 v
    3: 3v3 pin

(this is for whoevery wants to do internal RTC wakeup with out external interrupt)

So i have read the whole thread and tried everything, and i can tell that these 2 functions are totally useless and they probably are the default power mode for the chip , and the wait function is the same as using delay(***) whatever number , so if you need a program to wake up internally every couple of seconds , just use delay() in loop and You are all set.

sd_power_mode_set(NRF_POWER_MODE_LOWPWR);
sd_app_evt_wait(); // puts the nrf52 to sleep when there is nothing to do

Small note: the turning off external flash code saves around 18micro amps :ok_hand:

BTW, as a first step to low power, I want to use the demo provided by seeedstudio : Power Consumption Verification. I opened deep_sleep.ino in arduino IDE (1.8.18). I can’t compile it:

low_power:81:12: error: 'class Adafruit_SPIFlash' has no member named 'deepPowerDown'
   81 |   if(flash.deepPowerDown() == false){
      |            ^~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any tip?

Better to use the 3V3 pin for lowest power consumption.

Seems like powering through the battery adds ~2uA (guessing quiescent from the 3V3 LDO, no part number given in schematics).

Powering through the USB-C port adds an additional 750uA, due to the active supply current of the BQ25100 Lipo Battery Charger IC.

This sounds like a good idea, I’m also struggling with trying to setup a sleep and wake feature using a XIAO and SAMD.

Hi there,
and Welcome, Lots of solutions to that problem here,

For the lowest power use the non-mbed BSP(board support Package) i.e. 1.1.1 or current 1.1.8
as opposed to the Embed version, that has slightly higher power draw ver, 2.9.0 or 2.9.2
HTH
GL :slight_smile: PJ :v:

1 Like