Xiao BLE Sense - Battery Safety

I have plugged a battery to my Xiao BLE Sense,

I need to know if there is a temperature safety in the charging circuit (if the board reaches a temperature too high, it goes to safety and stops the charging automatically)

This would prevent the battery to receive more energy when broken.
Thanks
Stan

Hi there,
The short answer is YES , x2 Both the battery and the Charge IC also.
The Data sheet for it is available to read more. the basic config takes both into account.

HTH
GL :slight_smile: PJ

Thank you very much, so if I understand your answer there is no need to add an extra safety (even if the battery does not have it) as the charging circuit in the Xiao BLE sense includes this safety.
Stan

Hi there,
Yes , most LIPO’s have it anyway, what battery are you using? if it’s the one in the pic, it has it on top built in too. :+1:
GL :slight_smile: PJ

Thanks,
I am using this battery 3.7V Rechargeable Li Polymer Battery LP481922 135mAh 0.5Wh With PCM and Wires

Hi there,
Yes , Good choice. It has the PCM on it and if your nervous or want another level order it with the thermistor too. but the PCM is sufficient in all but a select few installations, like on a satellite or Radar system.
BTW I use the Round one too… :grin:

Round one is thin :wink: :pinching_hand: MAN, the square is thicker.

HTH
GL :slight_smile: PJ :v:

Wouah it seems to be great projects !
This safety feature was requested by the labs as we wanted to produce a CE Marked sensor.

Stan

Hi ,
Yea any FAB or testing facility wants it incase the thing swells up and way b4 that the temp will rise just because it’s a chemical battery. So give them a warm fuzzy get one with the thermistor, no point in penny wise,pound foolish.
We had to put Hydrogen sensors in a device for HP and Intel in OR. for equipment going into the clean room.
Good Stuff
GL :slight_smile: PJ :v:

Well I am definitely not an hw expert, the lab told me we need it for IEC 62368-1:2023 standard.
But if it is already included in the Xiao BLE Sense, then it is fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

According to the schematic, it is not clear whether a temperature sensor (NTC) is mounted or not; it is possible that a 10k resistor is mounted instead of an NTC.
It would be better to check if NTC is present or not.
nRF charge