X86J4105 BIOS and EC Firmware update

I just noticed that there was a new BIOS and Embedded Controller Firmware available in the SEEED Wiki, along with installation instructions. Since both addressed the shortcomings of the EC fan control, I decided to install them. After carefully reading the instructions, I performed both the BIOS and EC firmware updates successfully. Though I have performed this sort of update procedure hundreds of times over the years, this was the most entertaining one I’ve ever seen.

While I have the new fan control option in the BIOS, it doesn’t work any better. The fan control doesn’t work in any sensible way. I can get the fan to run full all the time, or not run at all. I don’t understand it.

When I first fired up my ODYSSEY X86J5105, the display I had connected worked reliably, even in the BIOS. The display monitor I’m using is a Sculptor 4K DP over USB-C. As I said, with the original BIOS, it was flawless. It no longer is.

With the new BIOS, both my DP over USB-C monitor and another traditional HDMI HD display will not always light up in Windows 10 when it boots up. The workaround momentarily unplugs the cable from the ODYSSEY, and the monitor will usually come to life. As I said, this erratic behavior is new to the new BIOS from late August.

Hi @CrunchyDoodle

Sorry for the issue, we have taken the down new BIOS for more testing. We are debugging this right now. If it’s possible, would be good if you share other details if you face more bugs

I’m glad the problem is being worked on. I look forward to installing a proper correction.