Wio Tracker 1110 DFU

Hi Community.

I have a Wio Tracker 1110 with the Lora radio that I was using.

I decided to try an OTA update that seems to have put my board in a state where it’s not working but I can plug it into a computer and enter DFU mode fine.

I have tried drag/dropping the UF2 found here (Flash the Sidewalk version to LoRaWAN version | Seeed Studio Wiki). However, the board will not flash successfully and show the red light. Just flashing blue.

Can anybody weigh-in and suggest something else for me to try?

Thank you.

you can go to meshtastic and download the 2.3 version but not the 2.4 version

https://flasher.meshtastic.org/

wio_tracker_app_release_sw_0.5_2024-06-06.zip (241.9 KB)

Good idea. Sadly I’ve already tried.

I’ve also noticed that when I plug it into my computer and check device manager now, it doesn’t come up as the wio tracker 1110. It just listed as a normal USB composite device.

1 Like

you have to double click the reset button to get it into bootloader mode then you can drag and drop the firmware file… the blue will breath when it is ready drop the unzipped file (attached) to go into LoRa mode… OR for meshtastic download 2.3 firmware from meshtastic and drag and drop… then connect via serial monitor you will have to wait for it to display the random pin for bluetooth pairing connect with the app… then set no random pin from the app settings… or you can set the pin… sometimes it will close the serial connection prematurly and not take the upgrade and you have to try again

the bootloader has to be updated to get 2.4 firmware to work… but the upgrade of the bootloader is hard and dont want to brick… so i am not sure i know anyone who has done it correctly yet… i have not tried… because i dont need the 2.4 yet 2.4 firmware will hang with red led and not run but is not bricked… have to redo the firmware upload at 2.3

i was talking to someone on discord who said they had a friend in meshtastic that was going to try to address the issue

as forest gump would say… and thats all i know about that…

So I’m trying to do again what I did to update the bootloader when I first got this board.
I suspect right now, it doesn’t even have the bootloader that it came with, due to the error I encountered during a flash.

I’m following the known working and documented steps I took previously to update this board and flash it to Meshtastic. The only difference this time is, it’s not showing correctly in Device Manager.

When I first got it and plugged it in, it showed under Universal serial bus controllers, it was listed as WM1110 or something similar and listed the com port. Now when I plug it in, it shows as generic USB composite device and doesn’t show a port.

Strangely it looks fine in windows explorer when I enter DFU.

you should be able to drag and drop into boot E: if you cant get boot E: anymore you need to update the bootloader… that requires a python Adafruit program of some sort for the NRF52 device

make sure you are double clicking the reset button correctly… if successful you should get the usb tone and the boot E: window should open and the blue led on the board will breath

Can you open the info_uf2 file in a text editor and share a screen shot?

Are you using Arduino IDE at all?

I am not using Arduino. However, if there’s something I need to download and use to make progress, I’m open to suggestions.

This board was working fine until I messed it up. It was my new favourite.

i think that is the newer bootloader… the 2024 version… should match the production date on the red board so you may be able to load meshtastic 2.4 firmware

For the link you gave:

Did you try the ‘bootloader’ file that is shown first on the page?
If not, try this (and either way, trying this again can’t hurt.):

1. Start in dfu mode so you can see the files in your screen shot.
  2. Delete the current.uf2 file
  3. copy the new boot loader file (should be a .uf2) to the drive.

If the dfu is behaving, it should disconnect the usb and restart when you write the file.

Go back to dfu and see if anything in the info file changed.
Also, if successful, then you should have a working boot loader again. Now go to dfu and try the application file you want to try. The 7.3.0 version is the newer version of boot loader and Seed does not seem to have a BSP in their git released yet that can build against it. (In case you wanted to try sample code.) But you can also downgrade the boot loader with older versions with the above technique.

Alright! I have an update and some good news!

First off, thank you all for the help and suggestions.

In the end, what fixed it was the new V3 Factory Erase.

1 Like

Thanks for the link, that is useful info.
Note that the Arduino IDE can flash these boards also when you have the target BSP version available (like 7.3.0). It’s a lot faster than doing the hex to uf2, and download steps.

1 Like