WIO Terminal: Networking not working

I am not able to get the networking working on a new WIO Terminal board.

I erased and flashed with new firmware for the RTL8720 - went fine.

I then loaded the latest versions of the all the libraries listed on this page: https://wiki.seeedstudio.com/Wio-Terminal-Network-Overview/#macos-and-linuxos.

After successfully compiling and loading the WifiScan example I get the following on the serial monitor:

Device reset sequence finished!
Cannot initialize ESP-AT Lib!
[E][esp_event_loop.c:99] at_unified_cb(): at_unified evt: 4

[E][WiFiGeneric.cpp:477] mode(): Could not set mode! -1

Setup done
scan start

Any advice to get the networking working?

Thanks

Hi this seems like the core is not erase properly, very similar problem to this: https://github.com/Seeed-Studio/Seeed_Arduino_atWiFi/issues/3

Could you try erase again and make sure that it has successful message at the end.

Thanks for the feedback. I did try to erase and flash again using the CLI tools on a MacBook Pro running Mac OSX 10.14.6 and got the same results.

772 wio_flash_tools$ ./amebad_flash_tools erase --port /dev/cu.usbmodem14101
Erasing…
All images are sent successfully!
Image tool closed!
done!
773 wio_flash_tools$ ./amebad_flash_tools flash -d …/wio_rtl8720_firmware --port /dev/cu.usbmodem14101
copy img to workspace…
Flashing…
Image tool closed!
done!
774 wio_flash_tools$

Checked all the libraries are installed and up to date? https://wiki.seeedstudio.com/Wio-Terminal-Network-Overview/#libraries-installation

I had the exact same issue and then decided that I would try the whole flash and install process one more time.
When I did this I noticed that there was a discrepancy between my Image Tool setting and this graphic:
When I used the Browse buttons to make sure that the right paths were being installed into the right addresses I got the following result:
IMG1 image is being sent…
IMG1 image has been sent successfully!
IMG3 image is being sent…
IMG3 image has been sent successfully!
IMG4 image is being sent…
IMG4 image has been sent successfully!
COM3 is closed successfully!

I was then able to run the Scanning Wi-Fi Network Example Code and the Connecting To A Specified Network Example Code successfully.

1 Like

@Brian527 - Thanks for your input.

It took me awhile to get back to this and to get my hands on a Windows PC to try that tool rather than the CLI tools. I was successful at updating multiple WIO Terminal boards using the Windows tool. I suspect there is a problem with the CLI tools running on Mac OSX 10.14.6 at this time. I followed the instructions exactly at got all of the expected results indicating success.

Can you provide more details so that we can debug on this :smiley:

I am not sure what other details to provide. I mentioned that I am using Mac OS X 10.14.6, but I do not know if that is significant. I followed the instructions exactly on downloading the CLI tools, used the most recent version of the RTL8720 binaries and followed the rest of the instructions and received all of the outputs suggesting it worked.

I would suggest just try doing yourself with a Mac and see if it works properly for you.

Hi @joliva63

We will look into this again, thanks for your feedback.

Hi, I got similar problem with my WIO Terminal with the following error:
…
Cannot initialize ESP-AT Lib!
Attempting to connect to SSID: xxxxxxx

[E][WiFiGeneric.cpp:477] mode(): Could not set mode! -1
[E][WiFiSTA.cpp:107] begin(): STA enable failed!

I have reloaded RTL8720 (https://files.seeedstudio.com/wiki/Wio-Terminal/res/20200730-rtl8720d-images-v2.2.0.2.zip) but problem still error.

Any suggestion to resolve theses?

Can you check your wifi related libraries again?

I was able to do the updating etc and load the example wifi client sketch. It operates and Pulls data from a webpage. Alas it only does this 10 times before it generates and errno 12 “not enough space” message. I cannot find what is taking up the space. It fails even if I pull no data but make the connection to the webpage only. So it is somewhere in the connect/disconnect that resources are not being released.

Any Ideas?

1 Like

reloaded RTL8720, its working now, tks

1 Like

Maybe the wiki page has changed, but I don’t see any GUI tools, just CLI tools. I’ve been trying for hours to get WIFI working, tried on 2 different linux machines (Mint 19.3, and Mint 20), and a windows 10 machine using the cli tools, but so far no luck. Where did you find that software? Thanks

It looks to me like you are correct in suggesting that the wiki page may have changed.
Although it was over a month ago that I was struggling with this I can say that I believe the wiki page does look different than it did then.
I am fairly certain that I found that tool at Platforms>WIO Terminal>Networking>Overview.

Wish I had something more than this to offer and hope you are able to get this resolved by some other means soon.

I can confirm that the wiki has changed and the GUI method has been removed. I don’t know why. It is perhaps of little import as the atwifi lib seems to have issues. I have been able to run the recently posted COVID display. It uses the multiwifi lib instead. There is hope that now that the bluetooth lib has been released attention will turn back to wifi. Love the device but it is a work in progress.

@Brian527 Arrrrrr, thanks guys, I’m not sure if I like the device or not, at this point I am so frustrated with it that I may just have to use a M5Stack. This looks like it has potential to be a really good product. But WiFi not working, and other issues that I’ve had is enough to make me put it in a box and never think about it again. I get the impression that I may not be alone in that thought from some of the posts, thou it seems like if the issues are worked out these really are great.
Thanks again, I’ll look into the multiwifi library you suggest Richard and see if that doesn’t solve my biggest issue.

Sorry I miss-typed it was the include <WiFiClientSecure.h> that seemed to work. However I can only connect to secure servers. I need a solution to connect to HTTP: not HTTPs: I have tried and failed for the past 2 days to do a USB serial connection from the wio to a rasp pi running win10 iot. The rasp pi identifies it as a serial device and can set it up as a comport. However no data is passed. Plugging the wio into a pc with putty works just fine. I too am looking for a dusty shelf for a few months.

Unfortunately, it is still not working for me, I tried a couple of different things people suggested for flashing the core, but I believe that it is failing with the CLI tools, and I’m still getting the “Cannot initialize ESP-AT Lib!” even with the WiFiClientSecure library. I have no way at this point to connect - it is very frustrating, and walking away from the problem didn’t seem to help me :frowning:
Maybe someone can post the windows 10 GUI tool somewhere and I can try it, I can’t seem to locate that anywhere either. All in all very frustrating.
Thanks - LeRoy

I appear to have solved the issue, I’ll try to outline the steps I took it might help someone else out.
Using the Linux CLI tool (Current as of Sep 25, 2020 amebad_flash_tool_v0.1.0_linux, and core version 20200730-rtl8720d-images-v2.2.0.2)
I was watching the directory while I was issuing commands with the tool, why was I doing this? well…I have no good reason, but what I noticed was when I issued the erase command, I would get a copy of the 3 bin files (km0_boot_all.bin, km0_km4_image2.bin, and km4_boot_all.bin), these were about 2.1m total.
I looked in unzipped directory containing the new core, and noticed that those were also 2.1m total. I thought, ok, that seems strange.
So I looked in the original zip file, and the total file size was closer to 836k, at that point, I figured that the erase command, copied the contents of device to the directory, and the flash command copied those files to the original unzip directory.
So to test that theory out,
I deleted the km0_boot_all.bin, km0_km4_image2.bin, km4_boot_all.bin from from the “amebad_flash” directory. Again I issued the erase command, and again I got the three files with a total of 2.1mb
I deleted them again, and copied the original 836k into the directory. I also copied the original 836k files into the 20200730-rtl8720d-images-v2.2.0.2 directory.
I issued the flash command, and then put the wifi_scanner sketch on the device. It worked
and I tried a couple of sketches that used WIFI, they worked.
So, I suspect that the flash command is coping the 2.1mb files over the 836k files, and the 836k files are the ones that are needed… And not the other way around, which is what I suspect is suppose to happen.
I hope this makes some since.
-LeRoy