Wio Terminal Disappointment

I’m so disappointed to find that there really is no real CircuitPython support. I can not find any reference to the Pins for the buttons, the display, or frankly for any of the GPIO hardware.

Tried to write simple graphics to the LCD using a example written for the ili9341 chip. I managed to figure out (I think) the CS and D/C pins but never got the program to work as the SCK of the SPI was in use and thus not available for the LCD driver.

I’m not going backwards to Arduino, nor learning what appears to be a one-off mashup language.

Please either provide the resources for using CircuitPython or stop advertising that the Wio Terminal supports CircuitPython.

While you are at it please enable the WiFi chipset. At least you state that it only works on Arduino. Why Arduino only, it only goes to continue the belief that this really does not support CircuitPython.

I love the device, excellent design, beautiful packaging. I was excited to leverage these for all of my projects. I just now feel that I have a beautiful box that can not meet my needs (CircuitPython).

Hi, I’m the CircuitPython development lead and am paid by Adafruit to develop it and support Adafruit boards. I’ll try to give some tips for getting started.

You can list the pins in board with print(dir(board)). Source for this is here: https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython/blob/main/ports/atmel-samd/boards/seeeduino_wio_terminal/pins.c

Tried to write simple graphics to the LCD using a example written for the ili9341 chip. I managed to figure out (I think) the CS and D/C pins but never got the program to work as the SCK of the SPI was in use and thus not available for the LCD driver.

You shouldn’t need to initialize the display yourself. Instead, it is available as board.DISPLAY like other boards. See here for a displayio tutorial. The adafruit tutorials will generally work because the APIs are consistent across boards.

1 Like