Will Odyssey X86 power 3.5 HDs

I have been playing around with the Odyssey and Unifi Video and need to hook up a larger drive just curious if the on-board headers will push the power needed?

Seems to run the Unifi software reasonably well san fast forwarding at times but this may be the software. Played around with Zoneminder on it also but did not spend enough time with it to have a solid opinion of it on the board as it seemed to run up the cpu quite a bit more than Unifi Video so I stuck with the unifi software.

1 Like

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Any one know where I can find an answer?

Hi @ernieboxer ,

x86 is able to support one 3.5HDDs connected to it. For two, it will be marginal.

2 Likes

Thank you. one is all I need.

Hopefully they will put out a PSU for the people doing NAS especially if they make up that NAS case.

1 Like

Yes, we are currently under developing a PCIE to SATA converter as well as power supply for this :smiley:

2 Likes

How is it going in the development? I also waiting to purchase this solution. For the moment I have connected my HDDs via USB with multiple power supply’s. When can we expect the external power supply and are there already some out there that can deliver the 12V of power for let’s say at least 3 3,5“ HDDs with one power supply?
I am also considering buying an ATX power supply and powering everything also the odyssey from that. Is there be a connection that the Odyssey could control this ATX like a normal motherboard?, where at least 2 ATX connector have to be closed for power delivery…

Currently under stress test before mass production, ideally it should be out in Q3.

Will the external power supply be sold separately or is it one product?

A product, please pay attention to our website.

Thanks for the reply. What is the new estimated time the product rolls out and are there estimates of the price it’ll be ?

I am trying to build a freeNas server with two wd red 3.5" HDDs.
With an 19V up to 5A Laptop supply the HDDs spin up and the system seems to work.
Current measurements:
HDD spin up: 3.3A
Idle: 0.9A
medium Load: 1.5A

I would like to know if this is safe to use or if i am out of spec of an Voltage Converter.
Ireally dont want to use an ATRX Power Supply for this.

Hi. for your concern i would recommend to use 12V power for hdd hard drives. 19V seems a bit high…2871594948569_.pic_hd

@ansonhe97 Odyssey provide 3 power ports for ext sata, be sure that 19V only power the Odyssey board. Connect your HDD/SSD power line to the white power connector. Please note that the voltage sequence if using unofficial cable. 12V(usually is Yellow), GND(usually is Black),GND, 5V(usually is Red), check the silk under the connector is correctly before plug the cable.