Wifi stopped working

I have an Arduino sketch running on my Wio Terminal for a while. Then it stopped working. In trying to debug it, I’ve loaded a couple of example sketches from the Seeed Wio-Terminal-Wi-Fi website in.

The “check firmware version” one runs and shows I’m at 2.1.2.

The “scan for WiFi networks” works and shows a list that includes the SSID I want to connect to.

But the “connect to specific network” just shows me a “connecting to wifi…” and, after a long pause, a “connect failed!”

I put some Serial.print statements into the WiFiSTA.cpp file that’s in the Seeed_Arduino_rpcWiFi library and it looks like it’s getting a timeout error returned from wifi_connect().

Could what I’m seeing be due to a hardware failure in the Wio Terminal, even though I can run the “scan networks” sketch just fine?

May I ask if you have entered the correct account and password for the WiFi network you are trying to connect to?

Yes. I double checked them several times.

You need to update the firmware for the Realtek RTL8720 Wireless core on the Wio Terminal. This is essential and must update to the latest firmware before proceeding to examples.
The latest version is 2.1.3.

I just upgraded from 2.1.2 to 2.1.3. I’m still getting the same problem - a timeout on the wifi_connect() call inside WiFiSTA.cpp. This cpp file is in the Seeed_Arduino_rpcWiFi library and that library is version 1.79.2.

Since everything had been working fine with the program that was running on the Wio, and the only things that could have happened were power cycles and possibly a swapout of my cable modem (but the new one has the same SSID and password), I’m thinking that the problem is either a firmware corruption or a hardware failure. Since the non-WiFi sketches I tried seem to work fine and I just reflashed the WiFi firmware, it doesn’t seem like I’ve got corrupted firmware. So all that I can see being left is a hardware failure. Which comes back to my original question: Given that the Wio can successfully list all of the SSIDs that it sees, does that rule out a hardware failure or is failed hardware still a possibility?

Thanks!

The latest version of Seeed Arduino rpcWiFi is 1.0.6, maybe you can uninstall the original library and try to download the 1.0.6 version of the library.

Have you placed the WiFi near the wio terminal? Could it be that the distance is too far to connect?