Which of these two batteries is okay to charge with XIAO ESP32-S3?

I’m looking for the tiniest LiPo I can find for a small wearable project. I would charge it via the integrated charger from the XIAO ESP32-S3.

I found these : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000977457385.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.df6e1802zAaunc

However, one version has a tiny module on top (L998). The other doesn’t (L987). What is this module for, and is it necessary for use with XIAO?

Hi there,
Yea it’s the battery BMS, over or under protection ALWAYS go with those when using Xiao as charger. AFAIK
HTH
GL :slight_smile: PJ

1 Like

The charge current for the XIAO_ESP32S3 is 110 mA, too large a current for a small 25 mAh battery.
I am concerned if the battery protection circuitry has a charge current limiting feature.

edit:
The protection circuit on the battery does not seem to have the ability to limit the charging current. The current must be limited by the charging circuit. In general, it is recommended that a 25mAh battery be charged at 25mA.

2 Likes

Oh that’s a really good point, haven’t thought of that :frowning: is there a way to tune the charge current of the charger?

I also got these, on the page it says charging current 0.1A. But can an Aliexpress seller be trusted with a potential house fire

Gosh, thats a tough question.