What RF module

Hello,

I want to use A RF module to wireless control two motors and a few servos. I will use two Arduino Mega’s to control the RF modules.

The flow diagram will be like this:
Mega 1 --> RF transceiver --> wireless signal --> RF receiver --> Mega 2 (to servos and motors)

Since I am not really experienced I have a few questions:

What modules are suitable for this kind of operation? I’ve seen the following on the site:

seeedstudio.com/depot/315mhz … -p-76.html

seeedstudio.com/depot/315mhz … p-151.html

seeedstudio.com/depot/433mhz … p-127.html

Do I really need a decoder?

Thanks in advance.

PinMode

Hi Pin :wink:

You don’t need an encoder/decoder if you either have little interference or other devices operating on the same frequency.

The encoder/decoder set you highlighed specifically should not be used for data-transfer; however, the other two are fine.

I infact plan to do something very similar and have the 433Mhz version on order, I can let you know how I get on if you like.

Hi Miles,

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

Great to hear you are doing something similar. Off course I would like to be updated on your project. What are you going to control using th RF modules?

Can the other two sets (the ones without the encoder/decoder) be used for sending control commands (is this data?) for my servos and motors?

BTW: I’ve seen some great tutorials on the SparkFun site:

sparkfun.com/datasheets/RF/K … hrough.pdf

winavr.scienceprog.com/example-a … llers.html

narobo.com/articles/rfmodules.html

Best regards.

Those tutorials are quite good! SeeedStudio sell 4 different modules. A long range, 433Mhz version including Decoding/Encoder and a 315Mhz/433Mhz w/o encoder/decoder - These three can be used to transmit data per the tutorials you’ve mentioned.

You can send what ever data you like. If you happen to control a Servo - so be it :wink:.

I’ll let you know when I have a little more detail myself, I’m busy waiting on my bits to arrive.