What are the pins of the physical Grove connectors?

I’ve given up on trying to use the RPi 40-pin interface for UART (see earlier threads.) I’ve got a Grove-to-male-jumper cable and will try using Grove as a UART. The Grove pinout diagrams here show the pins, but they don’t indicate where those pins are physically.

1. Which physical Grove connector is the “default I2C port” and which is the " configurable Digital/Analog"?
  2. Which direction do the pins go? Is pin 1 on the left or the right of the connector?

To avoid confusion, let’s agree that we’re looking at the front side of the upright device, so the Grove connectors are at the bottom left and bottom right.

In the absence of an official reply, you could write a program to turn one of the pins on and off at 0.5Hz and watch them with a voltmeter. Of course you have to use the voltmeter first to figure out which pins are the VCC and GND.

However since you can see into the connector socket, you can tell which way that it’s oriented, and since that layout is standardized, can intuit which pins are which from any other Grove product that’s better documented.

Generally, this is one limitation of only having schematic files and not layout files to reference also – although there are probably PCB markings if you’re willing to pop-open the case to look at them. I haven’t been through enough of the documentation yet to know if which is J4 & J5 isn’t mentioned elsewhere… sorry.

I found this photo on the Wio Terminal overview page; the bottom shows the Grove pinouts in physical perspective. My multimeter confirms that the right two pins on the right connector are indeed 3V and ground. So this appears to answer my question.

ATTN SEED: It would be good to add this picture, or a crop of it, to the page describing the Grove pinouts!

Yeah, but if you assume that everyone will be using Grove cables, the polarity and interconnection is maintained by the keying of the cable, so most users won’t care about the pinout.

However, if you’re poking around (like us!) then you have to go to another reference (like the one that you provided) that gives meaning to the physical pins individually.

I can imagine a single diagram like the original 40-pin connector one that also adds the Grove pins’ labels – as well as the I/O pin assignments for the buttons and anything else that escapes the boundaries of the PCB…