Viewing XML buffer data in Excel

I have been working for some time on a template file for easy viewing of XML data from the Nano.

Today I posted the final version with a few extra features and a different filename. A how-to video can be found at youtube.com/user/lwgraves?fe … A6B1BE27D6

Enjoy.
nanoexcel.zip (5.13 KB)

Hi,

i recently got into opengl programming, and i would offer some of my time to write a little Programm to easly watch those xml files. If anybody is interested in helping me out, you are welcome :wink:.

Maybe if I list the limitations of Excel with XML, then you could use that as a guide to start something.

1. XML will not let us start the graph at any sequence number. The Excel graph always starts at zero no matter what you do with the graph source sequence range. Allow the user to set the start seq # and end seq # for the graph display.

2. A custom program should look up the sequence intervals (within the XML file) and recompute a horizontal time-base x-axis and allow the user to modify this. Now place the data points in their respective place on the time-base x-axis.

3. Allow the user to subtract or add an offset voltage value to the data point value.

4. Allow the user to multiply the data point value by a single digit integer number.

5. Save the results as a new filename that can be reloaded later.

That would pretty much do it. This may be more than you bargained for, but that is what we need, and I will provide any help that I can.

Hi,

i just realised that i sometimes really suck at programming. It took quite a bit of time for me to make a function to read these xml files where it should take only some minutes.

I will now focus on a algorithm that writes the signal, that could be used in the nano and in that program. Because i and im sure, others have this issue: If you set up the T/Div higher on a sq-wave signal, then there comes up another sq-wave form that should not be there, or even a straight line at Low or High of the actual sq-wave signal can be seen.
For example: The same issue with an analog oszi you would just geht a broad beam on the screen. This would tell you that you have wrong Time/Div. This might be a good thing to have implemented in the firmware.

Cheers
Tobey

Hi,

I do not have Excel, but I use OpenOffice.
I’m not able to get the .xml file in OO as it goes in Excel.
Do you have a guideline to use your nano.xlt in OO?

Ron.

I tried using OpenOffice but it does not support XML mapping. It may be added at some time but the last current version that I tried did not support XML mapping. The OpenOffice forum made no mention of XML mapping that I could find. You might want to start a OO forum topic of XML mapping and see what happens.

I wanted to use OO because it was free and cross platform capable, but no joy.

Update 03/24/2011: I believe that the all future posts concerning an XML file viewer application have been relocated to viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1872

Hello Folks,

I have been writing an application in VB.NET to read and display the XML files from the NANO. Unfortunately i don’t have one to play with and so have been using example XML files i have found on the net. Would someone here be kind enough to send me an example XML file of a 1 meg square wave and sine wave so that i can calibrate my software and test the rendering. Attached are a couple of screen shots of what the application looks like so far. I intend to publish it here on the forum once it is working so that other can use and improve on it. It would also be useful is some one could send me a general waveform so that i can test the FFT spectrum analysis i have built into it.

MainScreen.gif

FFTScreen.gif

Cheers Pete.

Thanks to Lygra for the data samples. Here is my first cut of the XML data file reader. It is written in vb.net and targeting the 3.5 .net framework and coded in visual studio 10. Please feel free to take it use it and modify it, all i ask is that you publish your improvements to the forum for others to enjoy too.

Here is s screen shot of the final screen and attached it the zip file with the complete Visual studio project

MainScreen.gif

Cheers Pete
DSONanoQuadExportFileReader.zip (296 KB)

Hi, I am trying to use DSONanoQuadExportFileReader.exe but Ive encounter issues.
Everytime I import xml, either sample or my personal one taken from nano, I am getting error message: “Conversion form string “1.00” to type ‘Double’ is not correct”. (Its just a translation - I use Polish windows Win7 64bit).
Is there somethinkg I can do to correct this ?
Kind regards,
Piotr

The new version is about to go into beta testing and i will post it up here in the next few days. It would be helpful if you could email the XML file that is causing the error to me to test it on the new version to make sure that the error is trapped.

Cheers Pete.

Thank You Bainesbunch! I am attaching xml from nano. I d like to add that quite similar error is for xml samples stored with the application.
FILE001.ZIP (20.6 KB)

I didn’t see this thread until now. For anyone interested, code.google.com/p/benfwaves/ is able to export XML to Excel files without any trouble (though I haven’t bothered to add a graph to the Excel template file yet). Any input you could offer either on this thread or on the project wiki would be welcome. Cheers.

@reinderien - thanks for link. Your application looks very promising and helpfull but it seems my computer is “haunted”. Your app is also crashing ;-(
I am attaching 2 debug.txt from version Net 3.5 and 4.0. Ive also attached samples xml Ive used. I have win7 64bit, Polish version.

I am using Comodo Internet security and it showed me that it can be issue with “csc.exe” whatever it is.
I disabled Comodo but error remains.
Ive run Your application with and without administer rights.
error.zip (44.8 KB)

I believe that, since your computer is in the Polish culture setting, it is failing to parse the floating-point numbers in the XML file. I have uploaded new binaries that attempt to use the invariant culture instead of the system culture, so this might fix the problem. If it does not, then I’ve told the program to add more detailed information to the debug file.

@reinderien - Thanks, now its working (ive used rev78).
Do You think its possible to add waveform visualisation/editing?
regards,
Piotr

Awesome!

My first objective is to get all of the data export formats working very well. Matlab and Gnuplot have both had over two decades of experience in development for data manipulation and visualization, so it’s impossible for me to build a feature set that’s as comprehensive as theirs.

However, I am planning on eventually adding a basic waveform viewer. I don’t intend on it becoming an editor or an analysis package, though; that’s what Matlab/Octave/Excel are for.

@rainderien - dont be too demanding to Yourself :wink: It would be great if we could see the waveform along the x/y scales. It would be great if scale grid have V/Div and ms/Div numbers so we could precisely see whats going on. Just this would be great!

Of course we could dream that in the future we could have zoom in/out, scroll etc. :unamused:

Hello again Folks, this topic seems to be spread all over the forum. My version of the XML reader is to be found here http://www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1872 along with reinderiens version

I will be posting updates to this thread when they are ready and looking mainly there for feedback and comments and the dreaded bugs.

I have started a google project but have not yet got to grips with updating it.

Cheers Pete

Interestingly the version I am developing already does all this to be found here

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1872

Be gentle with it is only beta at the moment :smiley:

Cheers Pete

Dear Bainesbunch - I know - Id love to use it, but I cant unfortunatelly run it - Did You find moment to check the debug files Ive attached to my previoust post from Mar 29, 2011 7:43.
It can be connected to Polish version of my Win7 64bit.