Upload frustrations, triumphs, and questions w/ v328

Hello,

Today I received my first Seeeduino - my first Arduino of any kind, for that matter. I eagerly rushed through the IDE and FTDI install to get things rolling. I was crushed to find that uploading did not work. :cry: Here are the details.

Windows XP SP3
Arduino IDE 017
Seeeduino V328
Only one COM port shows up, which Iā€™ve selected.

Like so many other Arduino users, I received the dreaded:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

This originally happened when my first Blink upload took more than 20 seconds to complete. I wasnā€™t sure what to do so I hit the reset buttonā€¦ that was that. No other uploads were successful after that. I searched the net for resolution and found no recommendations that helped.

One common recommendation was to make sure you had the correct Board selected in the IDE. Ok, I have the 328 so I selected ā€œArduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ 328ā€ ā€“ doesnā€™t work. :cry: (looking back, I was naive to think that the fancy name was tied to the chip number)

Ok, reviewing the details on the main product page I found this, ā€œIts design is based on Diecimila schemeā€. So I selected ā€œArduino Diecimila, Duemilanove, or Nano w/ 168ā€ ā€“ doesnā€™t work. :cry:

There is no entry for Diecimila w/ 328 so what the heck - letā€™s try something else ā€œā€¦ w/ 328ā€. I selected ā€œLilyPad Arduino w/328ā€ and whaddaya know ā€“ It WORKED!!! :smiley: butā€¦ why?!

Can anyone explain what Iā€™m doing wrong or where I could have found this information?
Is there a reason why I shouldnā€™t interface the board as a LilyPad?

Thanks for reading,
Shawn

Just a quick follow-up. I was delighted to successfully control servo position with a potentiometer input.

Iā€™ve uploaded a dozen or more sketches and have not had any more trouble with ā€œLilypad Arduino w/ 328ā€ chosen.

-Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Seeeduino v328 is burned the Arduino Duemilanove 328 bootloader.
Please select the ā€œArduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ATmega328ā€ in the Arduino IDE menu.
If it is not work, Please try burn the Arduino Duemilanove 328 bootloader in the ā€¦arduino-0017\hardware\bootloaders\atmega ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega328.
How to burn bootloader without programmer:
geocities.jp/arduino_diecimi ā€¦ ex_en.html

Thanks
Albert

I received my seeeduino today and looks like it has the same problem. Tried on Windows and linux and both give the same error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x00

Iā€™ve tried all the usual stuff, manual/auto reset, different board options etc. Trying the Lilypad Arduino w/328 tip suggested above doesnā€™t seem to work either.

The board is powering up OK and L13 is constantly flashing. I get the occasional flashes on the TX and RX lights, but nothing sustained when trying to load a sketch.

Does this mean I need to reload the bootloader? If this is the case, can you provide any guidance on the wiring on the seeeduino?