Uno + Ethernet Shield (v1.1) + SD Shield (v3.1)

I’ve got my Arduino Uno R3 on the bottom, my Ethernet Shield v1.1 on top of it, and my SD shield 3.1 on top. Testing separately, I can do Uno + Ethernet, Uno + SD, but not Uno + Ethernet + SD. (Inserted headers on the bottom of my SD shield to let me place it on my Ethernet…) My understanding is that the stacking order can’t be Uno + SD + Ethernet, due to the ISP pins, though I’ve tried ‘unstacking’ and connecting the Ethernet through jumping the ISPs together, and plugging in Ground and power to my project’s associated bread board.

From a thread seen somewhere, I do have pin 10 of my SD “clipped”, with a jumper then between pin 10 and pin 4. I then set the SD_ChipSelectPin to be 4 (run SD.begin(4)). I’m also running into fit issues: the SD shield wants to pop off of the Ethernet shield.

Would love any suggestions… Running right up close on a deadline here. Although I’d prefer not to invest further funds or risk trying some new combination of hardware, I am a soldering newbie, so if the “right” answer is to upgrade my Ethernet Shield to the one with the associated SD card (v4, I believe), to avoid the whole shield stacking challenge, open to that. Would still like to hear how I could have resolved it, though, so that once the deadline’s passed, I can experiment a bit further and fill in some gaps.

Hello,

I have the same combination of shields as you. Only difference is that my Ethernet Shield is on top. I have not read anything about the stacking order.

Did you get this to work?

Stephen

I didn’t, unfortunately. I could get each board to work individually, but could not get them to work together.

I had better success with getting feedback from an Arduino board out on LinkedIn - you’re welcome to see if the thread responses I got there offer you anything illuminating. Basic response was to use a board with the SD shield and the Ethernet already built on… Also, one other respondent suggested they had not had a lot of luck with SEEEDStudio stuff.
lnkd.in/d4iWWSC

Thanks for the response.

Yes, separatly they work great so I will just use them to unit test code on I guess. I think some how the answer is in these posts I found.

This guy provides a documented reason why we see this issue with the 5100 chipset:

http://john.crouchley.com/blog/archives/662

Here is another interesting workaround:

http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/EthernetShieldSDHardwareSPIMod

Best Regards.