Trying to figure out an unknown LCD cape

I acquired a couple devices from work that have Seeed Beaglebone greens in them. I’m new to the Beaglebone environment. I’ve determined they run a custom OS with QTopia. I’ve gotten full access to them locally and installed ssh. I’ve disabled the QTopia from booting. I can also hook up keyboard and run locally, linux shell. It runs Debian Jessie and a pretty old version at that. The LCD/touchscreen works right now and I’m trying to figure out how to upgrade the OS and either go with a Webui (chrome) or full X.

Booting into the existing OS there are 2 copies of the uEnv.txt
/boot/uEnv.txt

uname_r=4.4.70-bone-rt-r17
cmdline=fsck.mode=force fsck.repair=yes coherent_pool=1M quiet cape_universal=enable
uenv_root=PARTUUID=9d0be788-8e92-374a-910f-5d3b1bedce3c

/uEnv.txt

uenvcmd=mw.b 0x44E10042 0x40; if test “${lcd_detect}” = “0xfffffe”;
then setenv dtb am335x-bonegreen640x480.dtb;
else setenv dtb am335x-bonegreen800x480.dtb; fi;

There is /boot/dtbs folder which has the *.dtb files.

I’ve tried installing LXDE but that freezes shortly after boot. I get a graphical login and can login but after that it freezes up. I tried replacing openbox with icewm. not sure if I did that right but same result.

How do I determine what is making the LCD/Touchscreen work? What files would I need to move to a new OS?

My end goal with one of these devices is to simply run a webrowser that access my Moode Audio Player. the Moode device hosts a webpage. The beaglebone with the LCD/Touchscreen would be a remote display head.

Doing some testing and removed
if test “${lcd_detect}” = “0xfffffe”;
then setenv dtb am335x-bonegreen640x480.dtb;
else setenv dtb am335x-bonegreen800x480.dtb; fi;
from \uEnv.txt that doesn’t change anything some I’m guessing that file isn’t used.

Still trying to figure out how the LCD is getting loaded.
I saw this in dmesg output
[ 0.000000] Kernel command line: console=tty0 lcd_detect=0xfff7ff ipaddr= serverip= gatewayip= netmask=255.255.255.0 root=PARTUUID=9d0be788-8e92-374a-910f-5d

Researching on how that gets called.