Support Thread for RGB matrix 8*8 60mm

Please post your question below, and we will reply for any info needed. Thanks

Can you give some more details about the LEDs?

Common cathode or anode?
Brightness? (mcd/color)
Forward Voltage?
Resistors included in circuit?
What kind of connection output does it have? (pin header, ribbon cable, etc)
Are the LEDs diffused?

Is it possible to get a longer version? ie 7x12

Common cathode or anode?

• Common Cathode
    Brightness? (mcd/color)
  • Please check datasheet
    Forward Voltage?
  • 2.2R/3.3G/3.3B would be a balanced white
    Resistors included in circuit?
  • No, external circuit needed.
    What kind of connection output does it have? (pin header, ribbon cable, etc)
  • 2.54mm pins, you may need to route them
    Are the LEDs diffused?
  • They are crystal clear. A piece of paper will diffuse it perfectly ; )

Please refer to the datasheet for more details:
seeedstudio.com/depot/datash … Matrix.pdf

We would release an Arduino like board for directly control of these dot matrix, it will include various interfaces for casacading, adjusted circuit, and library ready to go. seeedstudio.com/blog/?page_id=187

Thanks!

Thanks!

Take a look at this Arduino thread for hardware schematics and software for controlling one of these. (page 2 for schematics and final software)

arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB … 15096929/0

I would characterize it as having Common Cathode Columns, Common Anode Rows.

Yes, more precise. Thanks:)

Well, I got the RGB matrix (#220324377200) and I have an Arduino Duemilanove and I have some 74hc595 chips. My problem is I have no idea what each of the pins on the matrix are for. I have looked at the data sheet. Perhaps a more experienced person could figure this out at a glance, but I’m sorta new to this. Is there a schematic somewhere that I have missed? I would guess that 8 on each side are used to address the cells, but what are the other 8 for?

Any advice appreciated.

Dennis

flickr.com/photos/madworm_de … 730792930/

I found a schematic for a driver for the matrix. Briefly, 8 pins are for rows 1-8. 24 pins are for red, green, and blue for columns 1-8.

Hi,

I just bought 4 of these and a bunch of 74hc595’s. Is there any updated info on the easiest way too hook these up. I’m using an Arduino Mega.

On the eBay ad it says you need 3 74hc595, but I think you need four minimum yeah?

Thanks for your help

Tony

I’ve attached a schematic which might help.

I don’t think the attachment worked, so here’s a link:

blog.spitzenpfeil.org/wordpress/ … ematic.pdf

Hi,

Thanks for that. I’m looking at it now and trying to figure out how to use this with a Mega. This schematic is just for a “raw” mega168 board yeah? Not necessarily the arduino?

Thanks for your help man, really appreciate it.

it should be near the same thing. you just have to be mindful of the inputs that the schematic is using, then make sure your using the right ones in your code.

Maybe some pics or schematic from the “eBay” video? Just for simple testing.

What’s the pinout in the matrix? Is it the same as the sparkfun one?

Thanks again

That’s the old schematic you’ve linked.

If you’re going to use code from my blog, better use the new one:

blog.spitzenpfeil.org/wordpress/ … ublish.pdf

What’s important for you is the right part of the schematic.
The shift register’s serial input (SER) is wired to the arduino’s MOSI line, clock (SRCLK) is wired to the arduino’s SCK line, the latch (RCLK) is wired to the arduino’s SS line, display enable (G) is wired to a digital output of the arduino board. In my code I used pin 9.

MOSI: duemlanove: 11 / MEGA: 51
SCK: duemilanove: 13 / MEGA: 52
SS : duemilanove: 10 / MEGA: 53
enable: duemilanove: 9 / MEGA: (use any digital output line + change the #define in the code)

The code compiles on 168/328/1280 chips without modifications for register names. As I don’t have a MEGA board I can’t test though.

Don’t forget to use a 10k pullup for the (G) line, this keeps the LEDs off if you upload new code. Also wire the (SRCLR) line to +5V. That line is active-low and clears the data, which you don’t want :wink:

Thanks for taking the time to post all of this. I actually purchased 4 of these so will be 16 X 16. As soon as I get the 8 x 8 controllable.

Also I’m trying to make an Adobe Air app to produce the animations to make it easy. I’ll try to make it as “dynamic” as possible to to maximize it’s usefulness. Unless somebody knows of something already out there?

Thanks!

Tony

Well, I’ve published some simple examples to display images on an 8x8 module using:

a) transfer over serial port
b) stored in the chips memory (using PROGMEM directive)

instructables.com/id/SZXI3C3FUVSFZUC/

Maybe that will save you some work :wink:

madworm,

Thanks for all the great info, especially the tutorial at instructables.com. I now realize that I should have posted a link to your blog and not directly to the schematic.

Hi Again,

I got together 16 74hc595 shift registers to power my 4 8x8 matrix’s. But now I’m wondering how I can push enough current to power all 768 LEDs ((16x16)x3(RGB).

I found a post on instructables where they mentioned using this part instead:

mouser.com/Search/ProductDet … hvj1nFY%3d

As I’m just getting started with all of this, what would be my best option to be able to power all of the LEDs.

Thanks for your help