Seeek for Quad UI design

as you know, besides the other problems, the Uer interface is a problem for the Quad. there is already lots of suggestions on the UI, but it seems not systematic enough. now , seeedstudio seeeking UI suggestions.

1. as tested , it is realizable to make the menu transparent ,or make the manu hide when not used.
  2. it is realizable to make the wave show window to 360X200(previous version is 320X200 ).the whole window is 400X240
    please state your opinions include:
  3. how to define all the buttons and navigators action.
  4. how to control all the channels and trigger/singal generator/time base/measure results/savings/
    if possible , you could draw a picture about the manu setting.
    LCD_test.rar (6.37 KB)

I don’t have a systematic design right now, but here’s an idea to get everyone thinking: The 4 buttons could be used in combination with the navigators. For example, while holding down a specific button, navigator A would adjust the scan frequency.

Holding down a button while using one of the navigators could be a shortcut for the most commonly needed settings, so they are always at your fingertips without any need to navigate to the proper menu first.

Also, when a navigator adjusts a setting with a large range of possible values (such as XPOS, YPOS, T1, V1), the movement can begin at the normal speed, but then when you continue to move in the same direction, it gradually accelerates (up to a reasonable limited speed) to help you make a large change in the setting.

Or, while one of these “large range” values is being adjusted, holding button 1 can mean “move faster.” And two of the other buttons can mean “jump to a lower interesting value” and “jump to a higher interesting value,” where an interesting value means something appropriate for each parameter. For example, T1 and T2 could jump to the nearest time when any displayed channel crosses some threshold, and V1/V2 could jump to the nearest min/average/max level for any displayed channel.

Once again I must defer to the BenF Nano UI design. It has disappearing menus, yet it retains useful information on the screen and which screen information that remains displayed is selectable.

Another suggestion, keep the trigger parameters and T/Div near the Channel A & B menu area.

Keep 360 height, maximize width.

For the request of multiple presets (i.e. being able to quickly go to more than one predefined settings) I suggest using the preset button differently. Right now the preset button writes the current settings to a preset memory in flash. I suggest having 4 sets of such flash memories I will call screens. You cycle through the screens by pressing and releasing the preset button. You save a screen to flash by pressing the preset button for 2 seconds. This is how I set channels on my car radio, so the interface will be familiar to many. On each screen you can configure the settings as you like but they are only saved to flash if you hold the button down. To make the concept UI flashy you can roll from screen to screen (or wipe).

Also the calibrate button seems like overkill. Maybe go to calibrate if you press run/stop for 2 seconds or something like that. How often will I calibrate? Also, within calibrate, I’m not sure why I have to zero out off the values then the probe is grounded. Isn’t that something the software can do automatically? Also I notice that if you give a noisy DC to the calibrate it doesn’t work. My volt meter shows a clean DC but the scope shows it as noisy. Perhaps calibrate should evaluate the quality of the DC signal and compute a good DC average or something like that to insure good calibration results.