Seeeduino XIAO access problem

I have some Seeeduino XIAO PCB’s and for the life of me I cant get the latest Arduino IDE (1.8.1.2) to find it when connected to a WIN computer. I have resent the PCB several times as suggested in the WIKI and changed the com port up and down the list with no success. If I look at the device in the device mananger it says there is no driver installed. I have searched for a driver but have not found one.
So… what am I missing in setting up ARDUINO IDE to talk to the board?

How did you react when XIAO was plugged into the computer? Do you have a device in your computer device manager? How do you add a board in the Arduino IDE? You can screenshot it for me. @Chiun

Yes…loaded the board to the IDE as outlined in the Seeeduino WIKI. As I plug and unplug the XIAO board windows chimes indicating it is seeing something. The “Port” pull down of menu is grayed out (unselect able). I even bought a certified “data” C/USB cable to make sure what I started with was not just a charging cable. In the lower right corner of the IDE screen there is an indication that it is seeing the board, say on comm 5, but when you try to upload it errors and says “board not found”.

I loaded the latest IDE (12) … still no go. I have been using the IDE/computer to program ARDUINO NANO boards no problem there.

Update…I can get a port showing up in the pull down if I start the IDE and then plug in the XIAO. I get a windows “chime”. And a notice that a device was detected but there was a problem. The error message is that it see a Seeeduino XIAO but no driver was found. But when you try to upload to the board you get an error message in the IDE that the board could not be found. (see attached)

You picture is too small to see it . @Chiun

The only anomaly I found is that the device manager sees the board as a fermio (which is also part of new board listings). Also the board listing show Seeedunio XIAO. But no additional MO designation.

Here is a larger image…hope you can see it now.

You’re using the windows7 operating system that Microsoft has abandoned, however the USB driver for the XIAO above is missing and no one wants to continue to spend energy on ongoing maintenance for a software that everyone has abandoned. I have a USB drive here that has only been tested on our internal windows 7 system, you can try it, if it still doesn’t work, then get a windows 10 or macOS. @Chiun

Thanks for the info…my speculation was correct that I don’t have a driver installed and one is needed.

Initially this was tried on a LENENO Win8 machine…with no success and then I turned to my WIN7 desk top, which is where all the screen shots were generated from.

I never considered putting the IDE on a MAC desk top, which I also have… I may have to try that next. I have a refirbed HP that has windows 10 on it and will also try that platform.

Thanks again for the incite and valuable information…

Very much appreciated…

Chianti’s…

Bingo!!! Got into the Seeeduino XIAO board with IOS…have yet to try with Win10…

A ton of thanks again for the help.

Chiun

1 Like

Pls do not disregard us poor WIN 7 user. WIN 10 is total scrap. I want to work with a PC not smartphones.

@MSABU_CONVERTING Support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020. If you are still using Windows 7, your PC may become more vulnerable to security risks. Better to upgrade to Win 10.

Source: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/microsoft-365/windows/end-of-windows-7-support

Since when are we supposed to believe Microsofth they put us in that corner in the first place.