Seeeduino Stalker as automotive data logger

Hi all, looking at taking on a new project, I have no experience of using arduino’s or electronics, but I am a computer programmer by trade. Im looking to build an automotive data logger for use on my Dragster. My thought is that I can use the seeeduino stalker to simply capture the sensor data and write it to sd storage as a comma seperated file. Ideally I would like to capture data as often as possible, and realistically I am aiming for 100 hz for between 5 and 8 sensors, which dependant on data length should be possible? I am aiming to record 1 or 2 K type thermocouple exhaust temperature sensors (max 2000 degree’s F), engine RPM (using coil, max 7500 RPM), propshaft RPM (using hall effect sensor - max 7500 rpm), an on / off reading from my transbrake switch and possibly a throttle position sensor (yet to be determined).

Does this seem possible? Can anyone give me any hints / tips for recording such data? Data could be saved as a raw value and converted by software afterwards where needed. Many thanks in advance. Dave

Hi Dave,

I think stalker is a good option for your project. You can use the existing code to operate the SD card through Arduino, as the stalker is Aruduino compatible.

Regards,

Steve

Just add the following lines to your boards.txt at arduinoxxx/hardware/arduino/…

##############################################################

stalker328.name=Arduino Duemilanove or Nano ATmega328 NoXtal 8MHz

stalker328.upload.protocol=stk500
stalker328.upload.maximum_size=30720
stalker328.upload.speed=57600

stalker328.bootloader.low_fuses=0xFF
stalker328.bootloader.high_fuses=0xDA
stalker328.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x05
stalker328.bootloader.path=atmega
stalker328.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega328.hex
stalker328.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
stalker328.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F

stalker328.build.mcu=atmega328p
stalker328.build.f_cpu=8000000L
stalker328.build.core=arduino

I’ve copied the original Arduino Duemilanove configuration into a new stalker328 config, then changed only the .f_cpu parameter into 8Mhz. That’s all you have to do folks! This configuration will change the entire system clock value.

After saving the modded boards.txt, you have to choose your new board setting by following Tools>Board>Arduino Duemilanove or Nano ATmega328 NoXtal 8MHz .