Seeed Odyssey NAS more than 3 HDDs?

Is the recommendation of attaching 3 3,5” HDDs only Beschuss of the limit of 3 sata power connectors, or is there a limit of sata data connectors?
Is it possible to attach more than 3 3,5” HDDs to the Seeed Odyssey? And what is the maximum number of TBs the Odyssey can handle with?
The Drives would completely rely on a external power supply and I my plan is to attach 5 8TB Seagate Ironwolf with this Adapter to the Odyssey and with freenas. https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/InLine-M-2-PCIe-2-0-SATA-Karte--4x-SATA-6Gb-s--RAID-0-1-10-JBOD_1120597.html

If it works, is there a potential risk of RAID failure or data loss after a short amount of time ? And what’s RAID configuration is not possible for example? And would it be possible to attach both the m.2 sata Adapter and another nvme ssd ?

And which kind of SATA 3 Power Cable Slots does the Odyssey has? And could you recommend additional fitting SATA 3 Cables similar to the one that is shipped with the Odyssey?

Hi, for 3 3.5" HDD would be not problem if they are relay on an external power supply. We are currently in the development of m.2 to sata(suitable for 5 satas :smiley: please stay tuned). We are also developing the power boards for supply the 5 satas.

We only have tested using raid under windows, but have not tested raid under freenas yet, so cant tell you the confirmed answer.

2 Likes

Thank you, can you tell me what the type of the three SATA 3 Power connectors is on the odyssey? Can I plug a 4 pin Molex into it, or is it a floppy connector? Unfortunately I haven’t found the exact same Power/Data Cable that is shipped with the odyssey.
Do you know where I can buy two additional ones?