Seeduino - With external PSU...HOT

Hi,

I bought a couple of Seeduino boards last year. So far I have made a couple of projects with them - always using USB power for them.

I’ve build a power monitor, using a Photo Transistor to count the number of flashes on the electricity meter to monitor power usage. I’m also using a DFRobot ethernet shield to enable the project to support SNMP connectivity.

However…I would like to use the setup with an external power supply rather than the USB power - I’ve tried both a 12v and a 7.5v power supply but with either of them connected the voltage regulator on the board is getting very hot after only a couple of minutes.

Is it normal for the regulator to run hot or do I need an alternative PSU - can anyone recommend a good supply? I have tried a mini-usb type phone charger but this does not appear to run the board correctly - application is not very stable…

Any help would be appreciated

Andy
Drawing1.jpg

Andy,

The voltage regulator normally runs warm but not overly hot. You should be able to touch it for a few seconds without getting your fingers burned. You may be drawing way too much current. But, if you had been using the USB with it before switching over to a power supply, I can’t imagine what could be drawing so much current – unless you inadvertently shorted something. On the other hand, you could just have a bad VR.

I don’t have a seeeduino, but I do have a few arduino Duemilanove. The VR chip should be similar and should give you 5V out in normal operation. The part numbers on these things are really cryptic, but I was able to find something of a datasheet that should match. See here: http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/motorola/MC33269D-5.0.pdf What you described sounds a lot like you’ve reach the device’s thermal limit. See this text in the spec:

As for what power supply to use, I would use the lowest possible supply that meets the minimum power source for the VR. If you’re drawing 5V @ 800 ma (max rating of VR) then you should use a power supply that provides you at least 750ma @ 7.5V.

Also, you may glean some valuable info from: http://ieee.rutgers.edu/system/files/Hello_Seeeduino.pdf Looks like they done some pretty good work in this area…

Good luck,

Tony.