Rs485 air temperature humidity and pressure sensor

Recently we have received rs485 air temperature humidity and pressure sensors.

I am not able to get it to work.

In the manual it says to use the Qmodbus program, i get an error:

Protocol error: slave threw exeception: unkown error or function not implemented.

If i connect an other type of sensor everything works ok.
This type of sensor does not seem to work.

Is it a production failure / hardware problem or is there some thing i have to set before the sensor works ?

Regards,
Peter

Hi there,
So this is a very good sensor, but I feel your pain with the comms.
RS_485 is one of the most versatile interfaces , support P2P, Master/Slave, Multi-Drop. and more.
Takes a bit to get it going , but most robust of all of them.
have you loaded the App?

What code have you tried, and how do you have it connected. Any pictures?
of post up the code you are trying.
HTH
GL :slight_smile: PJ
:v:

PJ,

Thanks for your quick response.

I have downloaded the app.
I do not think there is any problem with the rs485 communication, i have an other type of rs485 sensor that runs without any problems with the app.
The sensor does not seem to response.

My own test app can get the sensor to response only once after powerup and only the second response i send is acknowledged. It looks like the response is ok.

The qmodbus app does not give any response, it only sends 1 request.

Can you tell me did you use this type of sensor, it seems quite new ?

I can give you print screen later this week if you are interested and also information about the other sensor i am using that is working ok.

I have the feeling the sensor goes into sleep mode and is unable to respond to commands.

I have limited time now, let me know your thoughts and what information you want to have.

Regards,
Peter

Hi there,
I have seen it, and I believe it changes baud rate after the initial power up or something wacky like that,
May be bad but they either work or not, not really sort of, so I get it strange when others work same situ.
You have a picture of the actual unit, maybe the label. I have used this and a Plethora of Sensors Like it in the semiconductor FAB, ULP testing, A cornucopia of every kind that exist to day and even One based on a Frozen mirror lazer LED “space ship” type tech, as a moisture analyzer LDL down to PPT. Sub micron Laser particle counters and Liquid Oxygen analyzers RGA hydrocarbon analyser for Ti and stacks like this. Scada systems
PTS_FAS_2
PTS_3
PTS_FAS
later made them carts and mobile with onboard Nitrogen Purge manifolds.
and more recently, did this SSG for a Medical device manufacture.
So yea I’ve
ssgfillmonitor
built a few things, programmed allot of things and Love this Stuff.
HTH

Hi,

I have worked on the problem. I think the way the sensor is working is not properly documented !

I can get the sensor only to work in the following order:

1. Put power on the sensor
  2. Within 15-20 seconds send a read request 2 times.
  3. The sensor responses

After this the sensor is not responding anymore.
Could anyone tell me if this is the way it is supposed to work ?

regards,
Peter

Hi there,
Peter. Yea that seems very wrong, If you leave it warm up and powered on but do not try to communicate with it, for say 5 minutes. Does it respond? if NO, I would fire off an e-mail to seeed tech support, That thing must be bad. Could it be changing the “baud rate” to something else after the required warm-up time?? do you get any gibberish type data after that?
my .02

PJ,

I have tried as you suggested to power the sensor for a long time (even 15 minutes).
Still the same result no response. I do not get any gibberish response either, i have tried with different baud rates to see if i can get it to work.

Do you know how i can reach to seeed tech ? i understand the forum is the only way to ask support.

Regards,
Peter

Hi there,
Yes , just send an email on here(as message) click on the Support techs profile, Seedserphina, or Citric will get it to the right folks.
HTH

PJ,

You write clear, but i fail to find an option to send a message.
I have found the profile of seeed Seraphina but i fail to find where i send this person a message/mail.

Could you explain where to send a message ?

Regards,
Peter

Sure, it’s not real intuitive , took me a minute the first time too.
LOL :v:

HTH
click their profile too.

PJ,

I have managed to send a message.
I hope i get a response.
After “message” i took new an there was a link where i could fill in a message form.
I had to put in the order number so i hope it will be picked up
Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Peter

1 Like