reTerminal gpio_keys not found

We have number of reTerminal, and on one the front-buttons do not work. The issue persists across various OS and all devices are configured identically.

Expected:

/dev/input/event0:      seeed-tp
/dev/input/event1:      gpio_keys
/dev/input/event2:      vc4
/dev/input/event3:      vc4

Actual:

/dev/input/event0:      seeed-tp
/dev/input/event1:      vc4
/dev/input/event2:      vc4

Any suggestions how I can troubleshoot the missing gpio_keys?

I have a dependency on the front hardware buttons, so I’ve stuck with the previous 2021-09-13-Raspbian-reTerminal.img OS image. They work in this image.

However, reTerminal Raspbian images beyond this do not have have the GPIO keys enabled for whatever reason. I haven’t had the time to do this, but you could decompile the dt overlay blobs from the working and non-working OS images and do a diff as a starting point for troubleshooting.

Until Seeed fixes the issue in the latest OS release, I’m going to stick to the 2021-09-13-Raspbian-reTerminal.img image as it works in that release.

Observation with 2021-09-13-Raspbian-reTerminal.img

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 5.10.60-v7l+ #1449 SMP Wed Aug 25 15:00:44 BST 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ tree /dev/input/
/dev/input/
├── by-path
│   ├── platform-fe804000.i2c-event -> ../event0
│   ├── platform-fef00700.hdmi-event -> ../event3
│   ├── platform-fef05700.hdmi-event -> ../event4
│   ├── platform-gpio_keys-event -> ../event1
│   └── platform-lis3lv02d-event -> ../event2
├── event0
├── event1
├── event2
├── event3
├── event4
├── js0
├── mice
└── mouse0

Observation with a recent release

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 5.15.32-v7l+ #1538 SMP Thu Mar 31 19:39:41 BST 2022 armv7l GNU/Linux

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ tree /dev/input
/dev/input
├── by-path
│   ├── platform-fe804000.i2c-event -> ../event1
│   ├── platform-fef00700.hdmi-event -> ../event2
│   ├── platform-fef05700.hdmi-event -> ../event3
│   └── platform-lis3lv02d-event -> ../event0
├── event0
├── event1
├── event2
├── event3
├── js0
├── mice
└── mouse0

1 directory, 11 files

Thanks for pointing this out; I wasn’t aware.

However, as mentioned in my first message, all our reTerminal work just fine (gpio_keys recognized) across various OS (Raspbian, PantherX). It’s just this one reTerminal that does not work, no matter which OS or configuration I try.

Almost like a hardware fault, but I don’t think so.

It’s definitely not a hardware fault, it’s some kind of configuration issue - the same unit that has working gpio-keys, will fail to work when using a more recent Raspbian reTerminal image.