Respeaker with beagle bone

Hello there,
Please, I need to check if the Respeaker is compatible and could operate with the beagle bone black/green ? as I will build a project using these and I need to make sure before purchasing them that by following the steps under “for linux” in this link https://wiki.seeedstudio.com/ReSpeaker_Mic_Array_v2.0/ it will operate with beagle bone and not specific only for the raspberry pi.
So is it compatible with bone and any linux machine (especially the bone) or just the raspberry pi?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Hello,

I see that this product, the ReSpeaker, is 5v logic. So, you would have to set up another circuit to make sure that the 5v logic does not interfere w/ the header pins used on your BBB or other beagleboard.org related board.

I have learned that w/ specific voltages, only specified voltages of likeness work together. So, one would, might have to, get a logic level shifter. This would work.

Also, I have used 12v to 3.3v levels w/ a level shifter. If this makes sense, good. If not, please view the RM of the BBB here: https://github.com/beagleboard/beaglebone-black/wiki/System-Reference-Manual.

I think a brief overview may prove valuable, esp. on the pin usage of the board headers. See, most of the board header pins are 3.3v tolerant. Now, the ADC pins are 1.8v tolerant.

Seth

P.S. So, for instance, you are finding yourself using a level shifter w/ a GPIO onboard the BBB that is 3.3v tolerant. Make sure your level shifter can transfer 3.3v to other voltages like w/ the ReSpeaker at 5v.

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your reply it is totally appreciated.

But It seems that I am misunderstanding something, I am talking about the Respeaker Microphone which I understood needs only usb port to operate, so why I am considering the beagle’s pins and their max input voltage.
I got that I will connect the mic to the usb host of the beagle bone and install its library to work, isn’t that all or am I wrong ?

Thanks a lot.

Hello,

Oh. Okay. You only want to use the USB port on your BBB. Got it. Um, you might need an extra power supply with powered USB hub. If you can get it to work w/ just USB, /dev/ttyUSB0, onboard the BBB w/out the powered USB hub, awesome. But, I think, from my experience, the powered USB hub is an all-time winner with the BBB.

Seth

P.S. So, I think I understand correctly now. If this is off-base, please let me know.

Hello @radwa,

Did you ever try it out w/ the powered USB hub? Did you get it to work?

Seth

P.S. Usually w/ just the USB connector to the computer for debugging, one would have to use a powered USB hub for extra peripherals like a 5v Microphone dongle/ReSpeaker when attaching it to the BBB or BBGW or another BBB.io board.

This one works. We tested it.

@Baozhu,

Nice. Now, I know too!

Seth