Rainbowduino 328 Firmware Loading Problems

Hi, I got a Rainbowduino 328, I followed the instructions to get it going on the mTx Control rngtng.com/mtXcontrol/ but unfortunately no luck. I just get an stk500 error when trying to upload the firmware.pde sketch to the Raindbowduino throw the Arduino. Probably in the process, I corrupted the boot loader as I no longer get the default pattern on the Rainbowduino 8x8 matrix, it’s just blank now with no lights. so I figured I’d upload the bootloader back using the Arduino IDE and my AVRISP MKii. I was able to flash the bootloader back to an Arduino 328 so I know the AVRISP Mkii is working but when trying to upload the bootloader or any sketch for that matter to the Rainbowduino 328, I get this:

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Al

If you have an UsbART adapter, Firmware Loading will be much easier.
Just plug it into the Rainbowduino and download program to your rainbowduino with arduino-0018.

seeedstudio.com/depot/uartsb … th=104_109

thanks, I’ll probably end up doing that. Is there a reason why though it can’t be loaded from the ISP header with a AVRISP MKII? I saw on another one of the posts that the power supply needs to be 6.5V or higher, my supply was 5V so maybe this is the problem?

I guess it wont work because the rainbowduino uses an atmel328, the same chip is used on your arduino…

I kind of suspected that, well maybe I’ll try it again with a Rainbowduino 168, do let me know if you find a work around, thanks.